Tail light modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Anyone else done this? Thinking of cutting away this part so to get a little more light out of the side of the tail lights and turn signal and brakes too. Thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No. Im pretty sure it would no longer be sealed and then dirt and stuff would hit it. also the lens are not like a modern headlight, light hits the cover, and the cover disperses the light. having more "attack" angle from the bulb isnt gonna do much other than potentially shine light into the wrong cavity me thinks

in my opinion with LEDs and a fresh cover/clean backing piece its pretty visible. if you want more to the side, I would install a rear sidemarker (us rear sidemarkers are red, front are amber) (euro rear sides are amber, fun fact)

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
my thought was that it might put more light out to the side on the brake and turn signal usage, not so much with just tail lights, I am gonna go with LED bulbs back there at some point. I think it should still be sealed as I wouldn't be disturbing the gasket around the lens cover

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I am thinking that it is engineered to direct the majority of the brake and turn signal light directly backward where it is most needed. Cutting away the material that directs the light backward seems unsafe to me. If you want more light on the side switch to an LED bulb in that section.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my thought was that it might put more light out to the side on the brake and turn signal usage, not so much with just tail lights, I am gonna go with LED bulbs back there at some point. I think it should still be sealed as I wouldn't be disturbing the gasket around the lens cover
but that thing you suggested cutting is the backing plate, there would be void if you remove it.
do LED first, like order them now, because you havent seen what it does yet.
also, what redfish said

your theory of the turn and brake is going to extend to tails to, its the same bulb. only the side marker doesnt do anything i think.The lenscover is sectioned and the backing is shaped in a way to direct light in a specific manner, cutting is likely going to make it just indistinct or something. if you buy new backing things(not a bad idea, clean/new means brighter too) you can test your thought but i fear what would happen is just disappointment

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
but that thing you suggested cutting is the backing plate, there would be void if you remove it.
do LED first, like order them now, because you havent seen what it does yet.
also, what redfish said

your theory of the turn and brake is going to extend to tails to, its the same bulb. only the side marker doesnt do anything i think.The lenscover is sectioned and the backing is shaped in a way to direct light in a specific manner, cutting is likely going to make it just indistinct or something. if you buy new backing things(not a bad idea, clean/new means brighter too) you can test your thought but i fear what would happen is just disappointment
I would only be cutting out on the line that is shown, It is like a plastic fin of sorts, seems to me it would put a little more light out to the side as to alert some of the sleepy ddrivers that are out there these days. LED bulbs are coming

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I guess all I would be out is a new mount for the lens of it doesn't work

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I guess all I would be out is a new mount for the lens of it doesn't work
post a picture of the back of your lens cover. I dont think you are understanding this. please dont do the mod and drive around with it

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'd say go for it.
That's one of the most common parts I see around at junkyards. Even if the taillight is broken, that piece is usually, just fine. Worse case, you ruin the piece and dont get what you wanted, oh well. Best case, you get exactly what you desire, and maybe come up with a cool new hack everyone will want to do. Experiment a bit.
I'm not exactly sure why you want to do this, but who cares, it's fun to do custom things.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
post a picture of the back of your lens cover. I dont think you are understanding this. please dont do the mod and drive around with it
I get exactly what your saying, your thinking if he cuts that, hell be cutting into the back of the light backer, and be exposing an open hole that will get wether into it.
I think that piece is solid plastic, so not a problem, but even it is hollow, that could easily be fixed with some expandy foam or silicone.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I get exactly what your saying, your thinking if he cuts that, hell be cutting into the back of the light backer, and be exposing an open hole that will get wether into it.
I think that piece is solid plastic, so not a problem, but even it is hollow, that could easily be fixed with some expandy foam or silicone.
correct, but even if that wasnt an issue, there is a reason gm has the side marker fill that cavity and the light from the turn/stop/tail is "isolated" from that side of the lens

And as said before, it may need that reflection surface too

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
correct, but even if that wasnt an issue, there is a reason gm has the side marker fill that cavity and the light from the turn/stop/tail is "isolated" from that side of the lens

And as said before, it may need that reflection surface too
True. I suspect, if that piece is cut out, that that marker light will light up the brake light part of the lense, and youd think the brakes were on, and wouldn't be able to tell when they were.
Although if he were to eliminate the marker light altogether, that might result in the brake lights light, wrapping around the side of the lense a little more (not sure why you'd want that, but what the hey).

I think if your trying to get marker light light around to the back of the truck more, I'd say either, wire in some lights under the bumper, or do tailgate lights like late model 1 tons had. Either that or wire in a thin LED strip around the actual lense.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
True. I suspect, if that piece is cut out, that that marker light will light up the brake light part of the lense, and youd think the brakes were on, and wouldn't be able to tell when they were.
Although if he were to eliminate the marker light altogether, that might result in the brake lights light, wrapping around the side of the lense a little more (not sure why you'd want that, but what the hey).

I think if your trying to get marker light light around to the back of the truck more, I'd say either, wire in some lights under the bumper, or do tailgate lights like late model 1 tons had. Either that or wire in a thin LED strip around the actual lense.
I dont think you would want to **** with the side marker unless you also install a dedicated sidemarker(think dually but not a dually) because without a separate lamp doing the side marker job, you are comitting a traffic violation which may not be hot on many trooper or cop minds but depending if it looks strange may get pull overs for that . A dedicated sidemarker also would have to be legally followed to avoid technicalities but you could put it where you want within reason and shouldnt be bothered. I would say get a dually red side marke, proudly place it on the rear section horizontally (for looks maybe) but in the same height as the tail lamp and close to the rear not like more than a foot, then you could go to town on the lamp. If going that far, a CHMSL is not a bad idea either.

honestly, why not go further, amber turn signals are sexy :) and if you decouple from the tail /stop/turn then you have a more clear function on the 1 bulb per side, change those reverse lights to be amber turns, then put the reverse lights mounted in a bumper or something shining out so you got nice illumination at night. I can see it now.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I went ahead with the tail light mod. it puts out some more light to the side,doesn't seem to affect anything to the rear of the truck. the usually darker side of the lens is now got light!! Some new LED bulbs should really light it up back there

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
I would suggest replacing the red lense if you haven't already. On my truck the original lenses were fogged up from age. When I replaced them I noticed quite a bit brighter light. Not really expensive either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey