Tail Light Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YeOldeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
1973/78
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Total noob, just getting started on my truck. I feel like an idiot but I can’t get the tail light and reverse light bulbs out. The glass was loose on one and pulled out so now just the base is stuck. On the other I shattered the glass trying to pull it out. What am I doing wrong? How are these supposed to come out?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If they arent coming out its probably corrosion! You can buy a new tail light harness with the sockets if they are badly conditioned. Otherwise, you can buy replacement sockets. The reverse and tail lamp sockets are identical except the tail lamp socket utilizes an extra wire and a dual filament bulb for braking/turning. They sell the sockets in both 2 and 3 wire, the third wire could be eliminated if you buy all of the 3 wire. Also, if you can keep your current ones you might try, with bttery disconnected, hitting it with some electrical contact cleaner and a small file, clean up the contacts but not break them. Use dielectric grease when putting new bulbs in. I vote new sockets. I found a used one in my shed that was in mint condition, its what I used.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I vote corrosion too but you clean them up.
My license plate bulb socket was corroded bad. The base of the bulb broke off and was stuck in it.
I completely removed it from the truck and with a little bit of diligence, some WD40 and a dremel tool, it cleaned up very nice. Put it back in and has worked perfectly for two years so far.
Dielectric grease is definitely your friend when putting the new bulb in.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The reverse and tail lamp sockets are identical except the tail lamp socket utilizes an extra wire and a dual filament bulb for braking/turning.

Wrong.
The reverse has locator pins that are 180 degrees from each other AT THE SAME LEVEL.
The dual filament has locator pins 180 degrees from each other but at DIFFERENT LEVELS.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Wrong.
The reverse has locator pins that are 180 degrees from each other AT THE SAME LEVEL.
The dual filament has locator pins 180 degrees from each other but at DIFFERENT LEVELS.
Oh. For the different bulb. You could use the dual filament bulb for the reverse then, just not utilizing it's full capacity

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Oh. For the different bulb. You could use the dual filament bulb for the reverse then, just not utilizing it's full capacity

The location of the pins make it hard to seat the bulb properly and you can damage the connector. Dual filament bulbs also have 2 contacts. They won't always seat on the 1 contact in a reverse socket.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The location of the pins make it hard to seat the bulb properly and you can damage the connector. Dual filament bulbs also have 2 contacts. They won't always seat on the 1 contact in a reverse socket

What im saying is to use the same socket and bulb as the brake/turn/tail socket for the reverse if you wanted to keep it simple. It would work but would be unecessary complex. But I vote using the right socket with right bulb, and it sounds like he was able to clean up his contacts.

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Don't get me wrong @AuroraGirl. I was only trying to help, not chastising.:)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
one of the biggest issues I've found on cars I've bought is people putting those dang duel filament bulbs in backwards. The different height pins means you can only put them in one way, except that the metal gives enough that you can force it to rotate if you try hard enough. That makes it super hard to take out though.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Use snapping pliers (flat ones are the best) that push out as you squeeze in the part that is stuck in the socket. Squeeze push in slightly turn counter clockwise and pull.

YeOldeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
1973/78
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Use snapping pliers (flat ones are the best) that push out as you squeeze in the part that is stuck in the socket. Squeeze push in slightly turn counter clockwise and pull.
Thanks, that sounds like a tool I need to get. I was able to get it out by mangling the base and grabbing with pliers but I think I damaged one of the contacts in the housing (it was pressed in too far). I bent it back out but we’ll see if it stays.

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Once again my "handi blaster" to the rescue! do what you need to in removing the old bulbs. Load up your handi blaster with "baking soda" You now have a soda blaster. This WILL remove all the crud and rust from the lamp sockets without ruining the the sockets like sand or glass beads or beauty will do. after blasting use the garden hose to remove any left over soda then blow dry, use the dielectric grease and install the new bulbs. Problem solved!!
One other thing to check on a 40 year old vehicle are the ground connections INSIDE the rear taillight side to side harness. There are two soldered connections inside the harness AND both directional wires have M/F push connectors in the same harness. Replace/solder as needed!!

Olnick

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

If you hit enter after the quote then type your reply it will look like this and we don't have to click on the quote to see what you said. Just a little tip you didn't know.

LMFAO that tip didn't seem to work. Disregard sense it looks as tho I'm full of ****.

I don't know why it did that. Lol

I can't see her quote. Maybe it's just on mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68