Tail Gate Latch ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
So, when if I ever get to that point, I want to have my tailgate latch shaved and relocated or eliminated (factory style that is) I'm looking for some good ideas for latching it.

If I get to that point, the bed floor will be raised up high enough to where the bed will only have 3-4 inches of depth, so one of those Tail gate latch flip deals where it just goes at the same spot, but on the inside, will be much too low and I don't really want that, if possible.

So, I'm looking for something that will go on each side and maybe slide in and out from the tail gate into the truck bed's side and keep the tail gate up if that makes sense...

I want it to look nice and clean, but yet, be dependable and not have my tail gate pop open or down, when I'm going down the highway and hit a bump or something.

Someone might make just the thing, or I might have to make something or have it made.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
1) Linear actuator or solenoid hooked to a "pop" button.
2) Make one of the tail lights swing out on a hinge and put a manual latch in there.
3) Find a way to unlatch it through the stake pocket hole.
4) Make custom hinges at the top of the tailgate so it swings up instead of down, latches underneath & held up with a prop rod.
5) Leave the handle mechanism in place but cut the handle off of it, modify it to work from a pull rod, run the rod straight through the bottom of the tailgate with a real low profile knob (or pull ring) exposed below.
5) Shave the whole damn thing... The bed isnt usable at that level of modification so weld it closed.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
If the bed is only 3 inches deep, what's the latch for?

So I can lower the tail gate and see the panel there.
There I will have switches for the shaved doors so if they fail and battery terminals, so if the batt goes dead, I can power it up.

The bed might be deeper than that, I need to measure my 8 port airtank and see how it comes out... I just know the look and there ain't much left after...

Not worried about practically, this will hopefully be a cruiser and show truck, Not an every day driver.
I have three other trucks, the wifes car and a work truck...

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
I was thinking about buying some plywood and mocking up a fake raised floor and tailgate panel...

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
So, when if I ever get to that point, I want to have my tailgate latch shaved and relocated or eliminated (factory style that is) I'm looking for some good ideas for latching it.

If I get to that point, the bed floor will be raised up high enough to where the bed will only have 3-4 inches of depth, so one of those Tail gate latch flip deals where it just goes at the same spot, but on the inside, will be much too low and I don't really want that, if possible.

So, I'm looking for something that will go on each side and maybe slide in and out from the tail gate into the truck bed's side and keep the tail gate up if that makes sense...

I want it to look nice and clean, but yet, be dependable and not have my tail gate pop open or down, when I'm going down the highway and hit a bump or something.

Someone might make just the thing, or I might have to make something or have it made.
GM Seatbelt Buckles work great as tailgate latches !
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507