Suspected trans issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K10Short

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey everyone,

I tried another forum for this but haven't yet had a response, so I figured I'd look for a forum with more focus on the older rigs. Low and behold, I found this one, so figured I'd give it a try.

Truck is an 84 shortbed K10 with 350/700R4, entirely stock except for the wheels and tires.

About two months back, and for reasons related to my stupidity, I accidently ran the trans low on fluid. I learned of this while in O/D on the highway at 60 mph, when I suddenly realized the TC was no longer able to keep a lock. The engine started going up and down, the TQ unlocking and locking. I saw what appeared to be white smoke coming out behind the truck in my mirrors. Pulled it off the highway, checked the fluid and there was no fluid registering on the dipstick. Filled it back up and away I went.

I was quite scared that I had destroyed it, but to my surprise discovered that the truck drove fine. TQ locked up as it always did, trans shifts as it always does, firm and smooth, etc. I have even towed the 6x12 enclosed uhaul trailer a couple of times since then.

What I've only recently realized is that when I'm going uphill, particularly long stretches of uphill, the truck struggles big time. It's as if the motor is completely gutless, and cannot get the truck up the hill. The trans kicks down to keep the engine in the power band, and the engine runs like a champ, but the truck just slows and slows until the top of the hill. I also see the white smoke that I saw during the earlier empty fluid issue if the hill is long enough, and then a burning smell. After I crest the hill, all is good. Shifts normal, lock up is normal, down hill and on flat stretches everything is fine. Engine is plenty strong from a stop and up to highway speeds. The smoke makes me think of the trans when i had the fluid issue, but I've never heard of a trans seem to "slip" while not slipping between shifts. Does that even make sense? While the truck has never been a power house, it has always gotten itself up a hill.

Has anyone seen this before? Is the TQ bad? Or the whole thing? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thank you,

Don

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I don't have an answer, but some of transmission experts on here should be able help out.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I dont know much about the 700r4 , (I am not a fan) but all the turbo 350's and 400's I have beat up and saved have never lasted to long after a good fluid starvation , just saying. You for sure put the beat down on your clutches and tq. , rebuild it!!!!!!

:boxing::boxing::boxing:

84K10Short

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I figured that was what I was going to hear. I think my concern is that while I suspect the trans, I don't know for certain that's the case. If I get into the rebuild for a couple grand and it's not the case, the Mrs will be less than happy :boxed:

I can't for the life of me think of what else it would be though. And having a recent history of starving the trans followed directly afterwards by having this issue, one would think it almost has to be the trans.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt