Superduty Dana 60 into 86 2wd squarebody chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazerbiker

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5, actually a Jimmy since it's a GMC
Engine Size
504in
If you don't need the strength of the D60, you can use a 79-79 ford D44. They're also not common but sometimes it's worth putting the work into finding the right axle when it bolts in easily.

Keep in mind we (ORD) have 2wd-4wd main eye brackets for the conversions. Unfortunately for the OP, we don't have anything to use the early superduty D60 since the perches are so wide on them. You might consider using the GM T-case and axle and routing the pipe around the T-case like Dodge did on the Gen1 trucks. We've found that diamond eye has a decent pipe for them that has the correct offset to get it around the T-case.

loco

Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So... you are converting a 2wd into a 4wd? Are you just going to ignore the emissions issues of converting a stock diesel to an LS? You technically would need to go to a referee and get a CARB number for the conversion to be legal. Your cheapest and easiest route is probably to get a junk 85-later 4wd complete vehicle and take the complete engine mount brackets, spring brackets, T-case, driveshafts, and front axle. 85 and later would come with a round pattern NP208 that will bolt right up to a 4l60 with no issues.

https://www.walterseandp.com/produc...DamCEjJlf4h1dnyufLnBAi5T_-R8D6mxoCJcEQAvD_BwE
Since its a diesel no smog so nobody will care about emmissions. I have a complete 03 silverado 2500 donor truck that I'm getting all the stuff out of. Just have this 02 Dana 60 that I was thinking of using, but finding a 77-79 ford dana 60 is a bit hard. Might see if just doing a front coil conversion might make up for the width. Just starting out with this project.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Since its a diesel no smog so nobody will care about emmissions. I have a complete 03 silverado 2500 donor truck that I'm getting all the stuff out of. Just have this 02 Dana 60 that I was thinking of using, but finding a 77-79 ford dana 60 is a bit hard. Might see if just doing a front coil conversion might make up for the width. Just starting out with this project.
That's not true. It is technically illegal on both the federal and state level to do it without going through the proper process with the referee. The second you put a gas engine into it, you are no longer exempt and it should be going on the regular 2 year smog check cycle.

From a practical standpoint, you will most likely never need to worry about it unless you get a letter from the state calling you in for an inspection(which HAS been happening more and more on the old diesels because people have been swapping the engines around in them so much), or you get hit with one of the roving inspections or a police officer hits you with a violation. The chances are slim, but if it happens, you could get hit with some major fines and would be on the hook to make it pass the referee anyways or convert it back to the 6.2. The referee process actually isn't that bad and there is now a pretty well understood process to actually do this legally and correctly.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
disregard, I apologize. I missed that you were using the early superduty stuff

Last edited: