Suggestion for exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MudIslandK10

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an 86 k10 long bed with a 6 inch lift and 35s. It has the 4 speed and 4.10s so it's geared really low. I'm wanting to change the exhaust on it but was wondering when choosing headers or crossover pipes if I should go for more power in lower rpms or something that will help out with higher rpms. I'm not really sure how it will translate with such low gears.

I would think go for lower rpms but the truck is so slow as it is I wasn't sure if more power up top would translate to a slightly longer time between shifts. I know the exhaust isn't going to make a huge difference but while I'm changing it I want to do it right. Thank you.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Any mods done to the engine?

MudIslandK10

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any mods done to the engine?

No engine is stock other than a new holley quadrajet replacement carb I'm also going to be putting on it. I should have said that the engine came from a late 70's corvette. All I really know is that it's a 4 bolt main small block 350. When i bought this truck a few months ago it was pouring oil so I replaced all the gaskets in it except head gaskets, new timing chain and cover, new oil pan, fresh spark plugs and new valve covers. This truck is just for cruising down the street too.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
No engine is stock other than a new holley quadrajet replacement carb I'm also going to be putting on it. I should have said that the engine came from a late 70's corvette. All I really know is that it's a 4 bolt main small block 350. When i bought this truck a few months ago it was pouring oil so I replaced all the gaskets in it except head gaskets, new timing chain and cover, new oil pan, fresh spark plugs and new valve covers. This truck is just for cruising down the street too.

What do you want to do with the truck, low ish (considering) rpm cruising/hauling or mud truck

cruising and hauling would benefit more from low end torque, mud runs would probably benefit more from extra hp on top end.

do you still have the stock heads on the vette motor?

MudIslandK10

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What do you want to do with the truck, low ish (considering) rpm cruising/hauling or mud truck

cruising and hauling would benefit more from low end torque, mud runs would probably benefit more from extra hp on top end.

do you still have the stock heads on the vette motor?

Yeah heads are stock. That makes sense though, its definitely more for cruising with just occasional mud, but if i go through a mud hole i usually go in 1st or 2nd gear as opposed to the granny gear. I just wasn't sure how this tranny being geared so low would be affected with more low end torque. Thanks for the reply.

MudIslandK10

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was able to pick up some good condition long tube headers, anybody have any suggestions for the rest as far as true duals vs an h pipe? I know i want to do turn downs probably right before the axle.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
You'll want an h-pipe. Otherwise you basically have two-four cylinder engines. The h-pipe allows both banks of cylnders to scavenge and the engine runs better that way.

MudIslandK10

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You'll want an h-pipe. Otherwise you basically have two-four cylinder engines. The h-pipe allows both banks of cylnders to scavenge and the engine runs better that way.

Any suggestions for what I should do after the h pipe? I want this truck to be loud, was thinking about either running the exhaust back and putting turn downs right before the axle (essentially a straight pipe) or running it out to two small mufflers then turn downs. Don't want to spend a ton of money on it but don't want it to sound like a turd and be popping every time i let off the gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74