Suburban Convertible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Universal thick rubber mat from Tractor Supply, then cut out the shapes you want?

What has been your process for dying/painting your plastic interior bits?

Bucket, thats a good idea. I'll look there and see what they have.

As for the interior pieces, there really arent that many to deal with. I bought a new urethane dash pad. But for everything else I've just been using Rustoleum rattle can, professional of course :p I painted the door panels, arm rests and kick panels with it. Not sure how its going to stand up, we'll see.

I dropped it at the exhaust shop yesterday afternoon. Getting a stainless package installed, from the headers back. Using SS Magnaflow mufflers too. Should sound great.

Scared a bunch of school kids walking thru a neighborhood on the way to the shop. Guess the rumble of an uncorked big block might create that kind of reaction :)

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
You are truly welcome. Thank you very much for showing us a play-by-play. What type of motorcycle are you going to throw in there?

BK, I have an awesome lil Honda Grom 125. We fitted it the other day and installed some tie down points for it behind the rear seat, sideways. I'll post some pics when I load it later tonight. Plan on taking the Wagon on a road trip this weekend :)

You must be registered for see images attach

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Waited all day for a call from the exhaust shop and finally got it around 5:30pm. My boy drove me over in the rain to get it. Man, this guy Robert installed a fantastic looking all stainless system using long Magnaflow mufflers and then finished the pipes with really nice 4" SS tips. I'm blown away at the craftsmanship. He even fabricated an "H" pipe to kill droning. Its awesome! Lucky for me it stopped raining long enough to get home :)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nice looking exhaust system..

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
On my drive to and from the shop I noticed that the Wagon was only running around 12V so I checked it out once back home. The guy I bought it off of told me about a charging issue and that he had bought a reman alternator, which he gave me. I found it and swapped it quickly and soon it was running about 14V, better but not optimal. I may put another one on it.

Afterwards I installed the wheels with new shoes and it POPS! Looks soo good with those big 18" meats.

Also we threw my tiny Grom into the back like I told you about before. Looks trick!

After all that I went to hook up my 24' car trailer for my road trip and was unpleasantly surprised to find that the rear springs are shot! They even have HD helper springs installed, but my car trailer brought it to its knees! It looked like the Shuttle on the launch pad! I knew that this was used as a RV tow machine before I got it, but had no idea that the springs would be that weak. I've got a '02 2500HD Silverado and it doesn't budge an inch with my loaded car trailer. So I guess I'll be hooking up a 6x12 enclosed for my big street bike and supplies and enjoying the open road with my new Burbon Wagon!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn !!! What a Project. Fantastic work here. I'm sure I've probably missed a few threads so I wouldn't swear to it, but this is probably the GMSB Thread of the Year !!! It's rare we get to see a project from start to finish, especially in this short amount of time.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Damn !!! What a Project. Fantastic work here. I'm sure I've probably missed a few threads so I wouldn't swear to it, but this is probably the GMSB Thread of the Year !!! It's rare we get to see a project from start to finish, especially in this short amount of time.

Thanks Hot Rod! Its been fun sharing it with y'all! I really appreciate all the great comments. Can't wait to run it at the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge!

I'll send some updates from the road. And hopefully I'll get a canvas fly mounted soon.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Just got back from a week at the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge TN and what a week it was! The Wagon was a blast all week long. I did have some carb problems from the original factory Holley once I got there, so I bought a QuickFuel 750 and installed it there. WHAT a difference! Super responsive and no hesitation. I also put in a new MSD distributor to enhance the carb improvements.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
awesome stuff!! any plans for giving the drivetrain any attention now that she looks as good as she does or just rock it as-is?

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
This thing is a BLAST! Even thou the suspension is worn, its a pleasure to drive anywhere! We cruised the strip day and night, carried women to shopping malls and even thrashed it on the "Tail of the Dragon". All kinds of great comments were received all week long. I am really happy with this truck! I still have a few more things to do.... as you know they're really never finished, right?

I know this is the wrong thread, but does anyone have any experience with air bags on a 3/4 truck?

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
awesome stuff!! any plans for giving the drivetrain any attention now that she looks as good as she does or just rock it as-is?

Thanks Old. Yeah, I might go thru the engine over the coming winter, just to freshen it up. It runs great, but its using some oil. I'd thought about maybe a 4L80E swap too, to help out with the dismal gas mileage. And as I stated, do something with the suspension. I want to lower it, BUT I want to be able to tow a 24' car trailer too. I think air bags would be the best for both worlds.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
super cool. looks like you used the grom a bit while you were out.

Absolutely!!! The Grom is incredibly fun and nimble! My boys are always fighting over it. It will rip up the "Dragon" with ease.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Thanks Old. Yeah, I might go thru the engine over the coming winter, just to freshen it up. It runs great, but its using some oil. I'd thought about maybe a 4L80E swap too, to help out with the dismal gas mileage. And as I stated, do something with the suspension. I want to lower it, BUT I want to be able to tow a 24' car trailer too. I think air bags would be the best for both worlds.
one thing you'll find is kits to lower a 3/4 burb are few and far between let alone bagging it. When I lowered mine I stumbled across Western Chassis Inc. You could go static drop with that and then go with a helper bag setup for when you tow. Would be easier, cheaper and less fabrication work than air bagging all four corners but just an idea based on my experience. I do like the direction you're looking to go :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400