Suburban Convertible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Worked on tons of little details, not going to bore you with those. I did order an exhaust kit from Hooker, thinking they would fit Hooker Headers. I spoke to their tech line about the specific kit and he was "sure" it would work. Well I'm here to tell you that their kit is JUNK! Bends are horrible! Exhaust hangs several inches below the frame and the tail pipes won't tuck up at all. So I'm gonna use a local shop for a custom exhaust.

Worked a lot on the dash. Got a new pad and some Bowtie Autometer gauges to monitor the big block.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Worked on tons of little details, not going to bore you with those. I did order an exhaust kit from Hooker, thinking they would fit Hooker Headers. I spoke to their tech line about the specific kit and he was "sure" it would work. Well I'm here to tell you that their kit is JUNK! Bends are horrible! Exhaust hangs several inches below the frame and the tail pipes won't tuck up at all. So I'm gonna use a local shop for a custom exhaust.

Worked a lot on the dash. Got a new pad and some Bowtie Autometer gauges to monitor the big block.

Well that sucks about the exhaust. And thank you for accually saying it's junk more and more people don't want to offend anyone and grumble silently to themselves instead of being honest about the junk that's forced down our throats because **** comes from a company that used to be a quality product.:waytogo:

Last edited:

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow that is sweet! Love the orange too that thing is going to stand out!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Was that the regular 2.25 kit? I installed the Hooker kit on my Burb many years ago and the fit was great. I had to do some modifications up front, but I was running Hedman headers so it was to be expected.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Their dies are probably beat to **** by now and a fraction of a degree turns into the mess he got opposed to what you got many years ago.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Was that the regular 2.25 kit? I installed the Hooker kit on my Burb many years ago and the fit was great. I had to do some modifications up front, but I was running Hedman headers so it was to be expected.

Yeah Bucket, it was a 2.25 kit. Both front pipes needed more bend to tuck it up under the truck. The exit of the Hooker Headers aren't perfectly vertical, so they start going down hill from the start. By the time you get to the tail pipes the arch of the pipe was only 1" above the axle.

I've bought these kits in the past for various cars and some fit, some don't. I may have received a kit that was made late on some Friday afternoon, who knows. It just sucks that there's no quality control on this stuff.

Last edited:

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Worked all day on the seats. Had tons of hardware to blast and paint, including the front seat sliders. With the help of a friend we hoisted them one by one. I think they look fantastic! Really fills up the cavernous wagon and I think the color combo just pops!

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
I sincerely hope this makes it into a magazine. This is seriously good work and a good story at that. Awesome job all around to everyone involved.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You are putting some crazy nice work into this project!

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
They look awsome!!!!!

Awesome indeed..:waytogo:

I sincerely hope this makes it into a magazine. This is seriously good work and a good story at that. Awesome job all around to everyone involved.

You are putting some crazy nice work into this project!

Guys, thanks a million for the great comments. They help drive me to make this Wagon look its best. I've been working hard on it for the past few months because I want to take it a huge cruise in Pigeon Forge TN next week, the Rod Run. Hopefully I can get it wrapped up this week and set out on her maiden voyage. The only big thing left is the exhaust system, which is scheduled for Wednesday.

Over the weekend we got the trailer wiring all fixed up and I fixed up all the door panels as well as the front kick panels. We mounted some tie down straps for a small motorcycle behind the rear seat and I've polished up the 18x8.5 wheels for new tires tomorrow. Just a few more small details and I'm off to the exhaust shop.

I'm looking for a set of rubber mats (full cab width) for the front and middle floors. I cant believe that I cant find a plain jane mat for it. I found a Bowtie product at O'Reilly but they want $40 each! Got any suggestions?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That almost looks to nice to drive. Almost that is then you would be able to enjoy all your hard work.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Universal thick rubber mat from Tractor Supply, then cut out the shapes you want?

What has been your process for dying/painting your plastic interior bits?

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
You are truly welcome. Thank you very much for showing us a play-by-play. What type of motorcycle are you going to throw in there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8