Suburban Barn Door Seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I looked everywhere for the precision weatherstrip, but it's sold out. Emailed precision and they said it won't be available for a few months because the product is being re-tooled??
Anyway, I still need the weatherstripping now, and junkyard ones all look worn out, so I bought a pair from Classic Industries. I guess it's their own brand, or could probably be the same one you guys bought, I'll see next week when they get here.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
https://youtu.be/VMHsTldeCgM

I'm slowly tracking down all the noises and rattles of this thing, and one of the loudest is from these rear doors. I'm not sure if it's because the weatherstripping is so worn down, or if there's something else I can adjust, but the doors rattle... a lot....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
https://youtu.be/VMHsTldeCgM

I'm slowly tracking down all the noises and rattles of this thing, and one of the loudest is from these rear doors. I'm not sure if it's because the weatherstripping is so worn down, or if there's something else I can adjust, but the doors rattle... a lot....

You can adjust the door strikers. And there are also rubber spacer bumper things on the top and bottom of the doors where they hit the door jamb.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
I bought the lmc weathertrip. I didn't adjust the hinges just the striker. I had it loose and didn't like it so I reset it back to where it was so I have to slam the door shut to latch it. Been slamming the door shut for a while so im used to it now. Thought being if I slam it shut its gonna be tighter and not leak. Well it still leaks a little somewhere but im not sure where,,,

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mine leaks too at the top because it won't shut past the rain gutter lip. Brand new seals and still leaks. Fighting the doors every day. Ready to rip it off and replace it with universal Home Depot stuff. I miss my perfectly shutting doors.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Mine leaks too at the top because it won't shut past the rain gutter lip. Brand new seals and still leaks. Fighting the doors every day. Ready to rip it off and replace it with universal Home Depot stuff. I miss my perfectly shutting doors.

My tailgate don't leak at all :slap:

:gathering:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I had a thought on this issue. Many late model trucks and SUVs use the same type of weather strip. In the past I have looked in late model trucks for weather strip to use on my Square with some success. For instance on my 03 Burb the weather strip for the rear liftgate.......

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Do the hinge pins ever need replacing like what is so common with the front door? Are there bushings too?

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Do the hinge pins ever need replacing like what is so common with the front door? Are there bushings too?

What about the PCV sleeve for the front doors, is there something like this for the rear?

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I ordered 2 different brands of weatherstripping for the barn doors: one was Precision Restoration Parts, and the other was Metro Moulded Parts. Both were good quality, but had the same problem you guys have described. With one kit, I couldn't even close the doors even if I slammed/forced it! Of the two, Precision weatherstrip did have a bit better fit, but still too thick. I have replaced all weather stripping with precision: front and rear door seals, front and rear beltlines, glass runs, and hood to cowl seal - so I'm disappointed I can't find something that fits. I checked my gaps and everything looks square (no pun intended), so I don't think it's the hinges or latches that are out of whack. I would have to make some major adjustments for it to fit (and 89suburban didn't have any luck with this workaround anyway)

Here's my plan:
1) See if I can find a decent set of weatherstripping from the junkyard (seems unlikely)
2) Use something from home depot intended for home use, like this:
210391[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• g5tUeK6.png
    g5tUeK6.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 67

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What about the PCV sleeve for the front doors, is there something like this for the rear?

I tried using pieces of 1/4" plastic air line for this idea but there is not enough clearance in the jaws of the latch to accommodate it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I ordered 2 different brands of weatherstripping for the barn doors: one was Precision Restoration Parts, and the other was Metro Moulded Parts. Both were good quality, but had the same problem you guys have described. With one kit, I couldn't even close the doors even if I slammed/forced it! Of the two, Precision weatherstrip did have a bit better fit, but still too thick. I have replaced all weather stripping with precision: front and rear door seals, front and rear beltlines, glass runs, and hood to cowl seal - so I'm disappointed I can't find something that fits. I checked my gaps and everything looks square (no pun intended), so I don't think it's the hinges or latches that are out of whack. I would have to make some major adjustments for it to fit (and 89suburban didn't have any luck with this workaround anyway)

Here's my plan:
1) See if I can find a decent set of weatherstripping from the junkyard (seems unlikely)
2) Use something from home depot intended for home use, like this:
[ATTACH=full]210426[/ATTACH]

I removed the LMC crap and used 3/4" wide by 7/16" thick foam weatherstrip from Home Depot. It actually turned out surprisingly well. However I believe 1/2" thick is the perfect thickness to uses after this first field test. So what you have found right there may just be the ticket.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmmm, makes me want to stick my tailgate option when I'm finally able to find one. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling that 88 3/4 ton 2wd I had. But WTF, story of my life I needed the cash. Just like kicking myself for parting out the 91 but again. I made killer money on both of those sales and acquired some good FREE parts along the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67