Suburban Barn Door Seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Has anybody here bought and replaced the door seals on the Suburban rear barn doors? The factory ones have plastic pins that snap into holes around the door. I am looking at LMC catalog and the left door seal shows the pins but the right one does not. It's my impression from the illustration that the right seal is glued on? I do not want that. I want the factory style.

Anybody have any useful info to direct me to purchase the correct part from any recommended vendor? Looking for somebody here that actually purchased the item and had it in hand and confirm the seal had the pins in it. Thanks.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The LMC set (38-6992 LH, 38-6993 RH) has the white plastic pins on both sides. The only issue I had was after installation the rear doors were extremely difficult to close. I adjusted the strikers for the latches which made it better but they were still a pita. It seems like you really need to adjust the hinges to move the doors out a smidge. Seven years later the seals have settled in and it's better than it was but the door still requires a firm hand to close.

Edit: I know you said you don't want glued-on seals but you need to get the black weatherstrip adhesive they sell. The pins help locate the rubber strip but they don't hold it tight in between them.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The LMC set (38-6992 LH, 38-6993 RH) has the white plastic pins on both sides. The only issue I had was after installation the rear doors were extremely difficult to close. I adjusted the strikers for the latches which made it better but they were still a pita. It seems like you really need to adjust the hinges to move the doors out a smidge. Seven years later the seals have settled in and it's better than it was but the door still requires a firm hand to close.

Edit: I know you said you don't want glued-on seals but you need to get the black weatherstrip adhesive they sell. The pins help locate the rubber strip but they don't hold it tight in between them.

Thanks for the info Sky. How have they held up for you? Still in nice shape after 7 years? Did you use the adhesive? Looks like the factory ones do not have the adhesive on it? I am also replacing the top weather strip along the top of the door jamb. What are your thoughts on that?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
They've held up well, still feel soft and pliable with just a slight set to them where they conform to the body. I used a thin bead of adhesive along the entire strip, I don't think the rubber would stay in place very well without it but I can't remember if the oem seal had it or not. I was concerned the weatherstrip would get pushed out of place before the adhesive dried so I didn't close the doors for 24 hours. At the time, my top seal was in good shape so I left it alone but noticed it's looking pretty beat these days so I guess I'll have to go ahead and replace it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok I am going to pull the trigger then, thank you for your input friend.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The only issue I had was after installation the rear doors were extremely difficult to close.

You aint shittin!!! Holy crap! I can't even close the damn doors! Gonna try and adjust the hinges so the door sits further out from the door jamb all around instead of just the middle strikers. The new seals actually push the tops of the doors towards the center and won't even clear each other!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
lol. Same issue I had with the doors overlapping, and once I got 'em shut I didn't dare open them again for about a month. If you're successful with the hinge adjustment post it up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
lol. Same issue I had with the doors overlapping, and once I got 'em shut I didn't dare open them again for about a month. If you're successful with the hinge adjustment post it up.

Yeah I'm going out to check it out right now and I'll report back.

Thanks again Sky for the guidance on this. I didn't use the adhesive because I want to pop these seals back off the bottom of the doors and do some cleaning up of some minor surface rust I found under the old seal on the driver's side door.

The factory seals ALL had adhesive, even the top seal on the door jamb. It was a clear/yellowish color. I will put adhesive on once I am done all my touch up work back there.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I think I remember this even with my doors when I got new weather stripping.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
I'm late to the conversation on this thread, but I did this to my 90 about 10 years ago and had to take the inside trim off around the windows to actually get things closed down and latched, even after I adjusted the hinges and strikers. I'll get them back on sometime, now I'm just used to it looking like a Scottsdale package from the inside :)

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Why is it so tight of a fit with the new seals? Is it because the weatherstripping is so new and needs to be broken-in? Or are they just poorly made seals? I don't see why you should have to be making these extreme adjustments from the factory-set gaps...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Why is it so tight of a fit with the new seals? Is it because the weatherstripping is so new and needs to be broken-in? Or are they just poorly made seals? I don't see why you should have to be making these extreme adjustments from the factory-set gaps...

I agree. For the money I'm piissed. Still fighting my doors and I use them every day. I am ready to rip that stuff off.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I see you got yours from LMC truck, and it looks like there are a few others out there... (but I'm not sure if they are made by the same manufacturer, just rebranded) Anybody have a set that fits properly?

Some others I found
1Aauto: http://www.1aauto.com/door-weatherstrip-seal-pair/i/1awsk00171?f=817343&y=1985
Classic industries: http://www.classicindustries.com/product/1984/truck/parts/pw1045.html
Precision Restoration Parts: http://precisionrestorationparts.com/i-8231340-door-weatherstrip-seal-fits-1980-1991-chevy-suburban.html
(I hear these are the best, but it says unavailable...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank