Stupid question, just go with me here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, so when I got my truck the windshield washers didn't work. Come to find out the pump was bad. Got me a new pump today and got it put on. Now it works but the fluid comes out under the blades. It doesn't squirt up onto the windshield. Is that correct? I have to have the wipers going and then hit the washer for it to work at all. If I just hit the washer it just squirts down under the blades and the wipers don't wipe and the fluid just runs down under the blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Alright, so when I got my truck the windshield washers didn't work. Come to find out the pump was bad. Got me a new pump today and got it put on. Now it works but the fluid comes out under the blades. It doesn't squirt up onto the windshield. Is that correct? I have to have the wipers going and then hit the washer for it to work at all. If I just hit the washer it just squirts down under the blades and the wipers don't wipe and the fluid just runs down under the blades.

The blades should move when you use the washer. I think there are some wiring diagrams in the Reference Library that could give you an idea of what to look at, or one of the guys more familiar with the wiring side of things will chime in.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think my whole switch may be about gone. Cruise is sketchy at best at this point.

I was more confused by where the fluid itself came out. I've never had a square body before but in all my other vehicles it squirted up onto the windshield and not down under the wiper blades.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Some info on how washer fluid is delivered from the pump to the windshield:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9652&highlight=pump

Short version; the fluid goes up a tiny hose that runs inside the wiper arm. The actual spray nozzles are located on the tip of the arm at the blade pivot pin.

So, if your wipers don't start sweeping when the wash button is pushed - as they should - the washer fluid will just squirt out on the bottom of the glass.

If you have pulse (i.e intermittent) wipers and anything goes wrong with the system, the first thing to change is the module.

I have had wipers that act all kinds of possessed and if they are intermittent type - a new module almost always is the fix.

Last edited:

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think I have intermittent. So basically though that is as designed for it to shoot out under the blades? I'm pretty sure every other vehicle I've had the washer nozzles were not on the wiper arms themselves and always just sprayed up covering the windshield so it was a different design than I'm accustomed to. I think I need to change out my switch since cruise control has also been blinky on me. I'll replace the module too. Can't hurt I figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1