Stupid diff question :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So here's my stupid question for the day. And i would of Google this but I had no idea how to put it. So I want to occasionally do burnouts in my truck. Nothing hard but to show up my buddy's 80.(it's a really long story) So what would I have to do to make my diff posi track so both tires spin around the same time? Thank you again square bodies for all of your help!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Either install a limited slip posi carrier, a locker carrier, a lunchbox locker or weld your spider gears which I say should be the last choice for a street driven vehicle.

Lunchbox locker will be your cheapest way out, and you could probably install it yourself since it's pretty much just a spider gear replacement unit. Usually good for up 325-350 horsepower or 33 inch tires.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Either install a limited slip posi carrier, a locker carrier, a lunchbox locker or weld your spider gears which I say should be the last choice for a street driven vehicle.

Lunchbox locker will be your cheapest way out, and you could probably install it yourself since it's pretty much just a spider gear replacement unit. Usually good for up 325-350 horsepower or 33 inch tires.

Thanks Hotrod just the person i was looking for!! This forum helps me so much with all of my problems haha. Could you point me in the right direction for a Lunchbox locker? i cant see my truck even getting up to 300Horse, well atleast for right now, and it isnt going to be a mudder so i should be okay :):roflbow:

And yeah, im pretty much looking for the cheapest alterintive

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks Hotrod just the person i was looking for!! This forum helps me so much with all of my problems haha. Could you point me in the right direction for a Lunchbox locker? i cant see my truck even getting up to 300Horse, well atleast for right now, and it isnt going to be a mudder so i should be okay :):roflbow:

And yeah, im pretty much looking for the cheapest alterintive

The cheapest alternative would be the Lock Right by PowerTraxx, a sub division of Richmond Gear. That's a bit of a noisy unit and that bothers some people. Either have some headers and flowmasters to make the noise, or turn up the raido and you'll likely never hear it. :rofl:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A locked rear won't make much of a show if the motor doesn't have enough balls to get both tires going.

I suggest a pushbutton activated washer pump setup with a nozzle at both rear tires to spray soapy water solution :insane:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A locked rear won't make much of a show if the motor doesn't have enough balls to get both tires going.

I suggest a pushbutton activated washer pump setup with a nozzle at both rear tires to spray soapy water solution :insane:

We actually has a couple guys do that stuff at the illegal street races when I lived in LA CA. But the bottle was filled bleach. You want to talk about heating up some tires.... And the difference in made in the burnout. It had more of a loud ear piercing crackling sound do it. And stink.. OMG it stunk. But damn, did it even work good. No need to spend the big bucks on VHT. Bleach works just a good, although I hear it's hard on your tires and if you have a nice paint job, probably don't want to use bleach. Or maybe a 50/50 bleach water mix.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bleach`LL get You more traction and not quite the burnout You would want.
Also, Yes, installing a locker to get burnouts`LL need a lot of balls under the hood.
Also, if a locker is installed, watch out for them fishtailing affects, It`ll spin Yuh around before You can say "Oh ****".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bleach`LL get You more traction and not quite the burnout You would want.
Also, Yes, installing a locker to get burnouts`LL need a lot of balls under the hood.
Also, if a locker is installed, watch out for them fishtailing affects, It`ll spin Yuh around before You can say "Oh ****".

Getting sideways is what's having a locker with horsepower is all about. Just practice your back steer, you'll be fine. :grd:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
355(375hp), th350, 4.11's(locker), on 32s. I always broke them loose when i wanted to, and i also planned to do the washer thing untill i swapped axles. I plan to run bleach/oil(lightest i can find).

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I'd say grow up, and laugh every time your buddy has to replace his tires. That's just me though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Without 5.13s it would be impossible, but my truck doesn't really have the umph to just stand up and roast 38" TSLs but it can get them turning over pretty easily!

But back to topic if you're going to do full-on burnouts you'll want to have an extra set of wheels you can put some cheap used $20 tires on and keep your good treads for normal driving. I mean, if doing burnouts is your thing.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Well the nice thing is a buddy of mine is a tire tech. So I get pretty much all my tires for free. I was just looking good for a simple solution that's all really, cuz who doesn't like a good burnout every now and then it I guess the main thing I really wanted to do was have both tires going at once. Burnouts are just bonus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz