Strange wiring issue, killing ignition module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
first off 1972 did not have HEI. I am not a big fan of after market distributors. I feel the most reliable dizzy is a factory HEI. it sounds to me like your pick up coil is going bad. you can test everything on a HEI except the ignition module. so start testing. highdesertranger

kaidenshi

Reaction score
First Name
Morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
first off 1972 did not have HEI. I am not a big fan of after market distributors. I feel the most reliable dizzy is a factory HEI. it sounds to me like your pick up coil is going bad. you can test everything on a HEI except the ignition module. so start testing. highdesertranger

The engine is out of a 1972 and originally had a points distributor, but the truck is a 1982 and had a factory HEI, which was the one we kept during the engine swap. Sorry for the confusion, I thought I had said that earlier.

kaidenshi

Reaction score
First Name
Morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I ended up replacing the starter (it needed it, I think the old one was about to give up the ghost), both battery cables, and the distributor (new one is a Summit Racing "blueprinted" HEI) and it's running better than it ever has. No more dead ignition module, no more missing/stumbling at ~2500 RPM, and the idle is as smooth as I've ever heard on a rebuilt 350. I think it was the Accel distributor that was the real issue, but it definitely needed new battery cables as the old ones were starting to fray and the jacket was cracking on the positive cable.

I did all the work yesterday and have enjoyed driving the truck all day today. I didn't realize how much I missed driving it!

Thanks to everyone for your help with this issue.

Morgan

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's the one to solve an ignition problem. Replace the whole dizzy and be done. Many of these old trucks need it anyway. I see guys who say, I have another dizzy over here I can drop in, and the bushings are shot and the drive teeth are worn so even if it does work, it's certainly not optimal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d