Stranded!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Man, you guys go straight for some of the most elaborate stuff first. If you had a miss would you rebuild the motor before trying a tune up????

Motor won't turn over - check battery voltage, if less than 12.6v charge the battery. If fully charged, tested good and still no crank, check for power at the starter (loose connections, fuse link,etc).

Check the alternator - not charging can kill a battery and/or vehicle.

Start Wth the simple stuff....

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Man, you guys go straight for some of the most elaborate stuff first. If you had a miss would you rebuild the motor before trying a tune up????

Motor won't turn over - check battery voltage, if less than 12.6v charge the battery. If fully charged, tested good and still no crank, check for power at the starter (loose connections, fuse link,etc).

Check the alternator - not charging can kill a battery and/or vehicle.

Start Wth the simple stuff....

gee everyone of those has been mentioned. we are giving "possable"
causes.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What's elaborate about checking for a seized accessory? :crazy:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
No updates really yet. I had it towed to the shop and haven't really had time to go mess with it.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
hey

some people like doing things the hard way.just hook jumper cables to the battery..have some one hold the key on and start..pulling..battery cables..poor some gas in the carb.see if you get a turn.if you get starter noise..it may be your starter.

then..loosen all belts.turn all accessories..over by hand.if all turns.then.put a pull bar and socket on crank.bolt.turn it clockwise.not backwards.you do not want to loosen or break that bolt..

if engine does not turn over.if it is locked.you got a bad timing chain..i had a 305.drop a timing chain.motor.locked..from chain..motor was not locked up..if motor turns.and is not too tight.or making..clunking noise.

then you got electric problems.starter.or what ever..you are saying motor is not turning/spinning.so electrics/cables..starter/solnoid..-engine accessories..locked up or..timing chain locked.

i guess next would be.piston rod broke-or engine bearings..has been known to lock the engine up..but i would think you would be hearing the starter.straining to turn the engine over..clicking.starter cable getting hot..

it is hard.to tell some one else all the things.to try and or look for.it is different.when you are right there..hands on..doing it..i hope i helped you..just remember..it is all ways something..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No updates really yet. I had it towed to the shop and haven't really had time to go mess with it.

Any updates yet? So what's the diagnosis and prognosis??? :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That doesn't really explain everything, but that would be great if it's all it is.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
How would a bad battery kill the motor while you are driving? If the alt is good you can disconnect the bat and keep on truckin.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
How would a bad battery kill the motor while you are driving? If the alt is good you can disconnect the bat and keep on truckin.

Not sure on TBI stuff, but with MPFI systems I've had them shut off w/out a good battery. I tried it on a friend's Acura one time. I put my battery in it and got it started, and as soon as I pulled the terminals back off, it died.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
That doesn't really explain everything, but that would be great if it's all it is.

Yea, i'm not real sure. I've been busy at work so i haven't had time to go mess with it. But the guy who looked at it has owned a bunch of these trucks and used to build them for racing, so I hope he knows what he's talking about.

Fuser1983

Reaction score
First Name
Edu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R-10
Engine Size
5.7 Liter 350
It's ALIVE!!!! Got the truck running!! I bought a new battery and it took a little convincing but the motor started turning over slowly, I put a quart of oil in it and El Superbeasto roared once again!!! Took some pretty cool pics while i was there too, check them out!
You must be registered for see images attach

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
am I the only one concerned that it's dragging w/a brand new battery in it? Sounds like the begging of a starter failure or a bad ground somewhere.

oops..I meant beginning of a starter failure

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68