Stolen Keys!!! Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigZ

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, so I went out to shoot some pool with some friends, and some a$$hole stole my jacket containing the ignition key for my truck! Luckily, I have a friend with a flatbed, and a spare door key, but no ignition key. I'm looking in my haynes, and it instructs me to place the truck in the run position to remove the ignition cylinder, which I obviously can't do without an ignition key. Does anyone have any tips, etc, on how to get the cylinder out without a key? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Doesn't need to be in the run position. There's a set screw that holds it in.

Remove steering wheel

Remove lock plate (You'll need a puller unless you can get some fine screwdrivers in there.)

Remove the hazard button

Remove the turn signal stalk by removing the phillips screw that holds it in place.

Now you can get to the turn signal switch which is held in by three phillips screws.

Under that will be a Torx screw towards the bottom right, remove that and the lock will slide out.

Installation is reverse of removal.

bigZ

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks retro! You're a life saver. I hate these mauals, the way they word things always screws me up. Its crazy that someone needing a $25 thrift store jacket caused me so much trouble!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This may sound like a stupid question but, have you tried turning it without the key? I've had a few GM ignition locks that were worn out enough you didn't need a key.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
An old boss had a 1982 K20 he drove everywhere...It had that quirk....

I'd see it at the local mall and move it across the parking lot...:rofl:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
This may sound like a stupid question but, have you tried turning it without the key? I've had a few GM ignition locks that were worn out enough you didn't need a key.

mine was like that, i only needed the key if i turned it all the way back and locked it... its funny because i never rolled the windows up or locked the doors, and it never got stolen.... ah the perks of having a beater looking truck i guess

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI

bigZ

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have in fact tried it, also tried using a small flathead screwdriver to turn it. No luck. Was tempted to put a hammer to the screwdriver and just knock the pins out of the way, but I would rather not have to steal my own truck all the time!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Shoot man, I just had to do this to my truck and had pictures of the whole process. My drivers window is busted out and the thing starts with pliers but im not worried about it getting stolen. If you push the brake the left brake light does not come on unless you pull back gently on the turn signal switch. So the car thief would surely got stopped for having a brake light out and I would get my truck back :roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have in fact tried it, also tried using a small flathead screwdriver to turn it. No luck. Was tempted to put a hammer to the screwdriver and just knock the pins out of the way, but I would rather not have to steal my own truck all the time!

Don't put a hammer to it!!! :mfr_omg:

This may help in taking the column apart:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3085

Shoot man, I just had to do this to my truck and had pictures of the whole process. My drivers window is busted out and the thing starts with pliers but im not worried about it getting stolen. If you push the brake the left brake light does not come on unless you pull back gently on the turn signal switch. So the car thief would surely got stopped for having a brake light out and I would get my truck back :roflbow:

Nice, built in theft locator. :roflbow:

bigZ

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know the screwdriver is a terrible idea, but I had it work on an old beater yard truck I had for a while. I tapped a small slotted screwdriver in with a rubber mallett so it makes it past the pins, and it started the truck great! I just couldn't remove the screwdriver. Lol. I think the authorities would have a bit of a problem with that! The truck never left our propertty, so it wasn't a big deal, but its a move of last resort. And that sucks irishman, I'm glad I don't have to replace the glass! Bummer man.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
When I used to repo we had a large flat blade screwdriver and a pair of vise grips to "acquire" vehicles. We would stick the screwdriver in the key hole and pry down to remove the "ears", the outer ignition lock cover. Then put it in the key hole for the lock cylinder, and use the vise grips to drive it in there good & tight (we would get it done with 1 or 2 smacks on the end of the screwdriver), then clamp the vise grips to the screwdriver shaft and pop the lock. That last part sounds easier than it really is. But after that you can just stick the screwdriver in and start it. We weren't allowed to do this with Fords or imports because the cast steel or aluminum steering column would break and cause extra expense for the repo company. We also weren't allowed to do this on airbag equipped vehicles.

bigZ

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All right! I knew I wasn't the only one to use that trick! I can see why you wouldn't do it to an airbag equipped vehicle though, I accidentally set off all the bags in my buddies bmw one time, we were using it for a demo derby, so they had to go anyway, but its no fun if you don't expect it! Just remember, DON'T CUT THE YELLOW WIRE! Lol.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
We also had a set of master keys and picks but rarely used them. We also carried a rubber wedge and a long hook rod to open locked doors, never liked using slimjims because they would get hung up in power window/doorlock setups. Also kept wire cutters, a generic coil wire, and about 4 feet of wire with small alligator clips on each end. Pretty much seen it all and learned from it. One guy took his coil wire so we used one of the plug wires lol ran like **** but we got the truck. One guy said he was going to give us the keys but just armed the alarm and went back in his house so we broke in the car, cut the siren wire, ripped out some of the alarm system wire to make a hot jumper wire to the ignition control box, broke the ignition lock and jumped the starter with a screwdriver since it had a starter disable feature in the alarm. Also had to pull the hazard light fuse since they were staying on. No doubt about it if someone wants your ride it is hard to stop them. Mean dogs were the best deterrent for us but that still wouldn't stop us. I've got hundreds of crazy repo stories.

bigZ

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, that's gotta be a wild job. I am just replacing the lock cylinder and calling it a day, but I have plenty of good ideas for a worst case scenario now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey