Steering Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85squaredC10

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 TBI
This is tough to tell in a picture and really not that easy even in person. Usually if a pulley is out of alignment by very much the belt will need to be tightened very often like as in every 100 or so, more or less depending on how out of alignment. Usually you'll end up tightening it much more than normal and after a few tightening is stretched out to the point where it can't be tightened anymore. If that belt has been on there for 2 years since the pump replacement I doubt it's out of alignment much if at all. Now I do see that is a double pully on the power steering pump. I assume that the other belt ran to the A/C compressor and now the A/C compressor is not working so the belt was removed? If that is the case that is a bit of a problem as more strain is put on the one single remaining belt, rather than the two it was meant to have. If it was me I'd replace the A/C compressor and get the second belt back on there. Bonus if you fix the A/C cold air and dual belts back on the power steering pump.
Or, if your looking to remove the AC, just get a different single belt pulley for the PS pump and it should be good.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I ran a 305 in an 84 Chevy in which I removed the AC, had no issues with squeaking or alignment after removing the pulley.

I plan to remove this too, the brackets just seem wonky. Something ain’t right and hasn’t been right. Maybe I need to go to the junkyard and get a new set. I have tightened the pump more to the point that it only squeaks on full lock like it has done in the past, completely drivable, but I want to fix the issue. I do plan to bypass the ac and remove the compressor just like I did on my 305.

Thanks for the info guys.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
they do appear wonky but it's hard to tell from a pic. I would pull the belt off and lay a straight edge in the grooves for verification.
I have seen the bracket break behind the pulley so you can't see it, this has caused alignment issues.

highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg