steering reservoir leaking out top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Fluid levels fine but shoots out the top sometimes . Big mess maybe happens at full lock . Idk I have a cooler on it shouldent be getting to hot..any thoughts:bawl:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Blockage or kinked line?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Speakfordadead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Truck Year
1975 1978 1980
Truck Model
C20's Camper Spc/Sub
Engine Size
350 Targetmaster/454
Had this problem on a race car (SBC Pump).... turned out that the pulley was too small...... also had too big of a valve in it.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
No kinked lines . The pumps only 1 year old . Has the same pully its always had .. does the cap hold pressure I saw a spring and that flap maybe get a new one there cheap see if it stops it...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Stop topping the reservoir up and let it find it's own level.

The capacity of the system doesn't change, only the volume of the fluid changes. Change in volume is due to two things:

1. Adding fluid
2. Increase in temperature.

In a stock set-up, the reservoir is designed to accommodate the change in fluid volume over the full temp range. If you fill it up to the top when cold that is too much fluid. As the fluid heats up and expands, the volume increases and will raise the level in the reservoir. That is why the cold level is lower on the dipstick than the hot level. If setting the level when cold, be sure to use the lower mark.

A cooler actually intensifies this effect. The connecting hoses and cooler tubes increase the system volume substantially. This excess volume was not factored in when the size of the reservoir was designed. The cooler does not have the heat exchange capacity to keep the fluid at ambient temperature (it just keeps it from overheating). So, any cooling effect that the cooler has on the fluid is overridden by the increased volume due to the hoses and cooler tubes.

But if you are already aware of all that, read on.

Assuming you have hydro-boost brakes? If so, have you done a complete bleeding procedure?

When you have hydro-boost brakes (and especially with a cooler incorporated into the PS system), it is critical that the bleeding process is done correctly (see below).

Also critical, is the location of the cooler in relation to the other system components and (this is key) how the inlet and outlet hoses are connected to it. Schematically speaking, the cooler should be located either:

1. Between the P/S pump outlet and the hydro-boost inlet or

2. Between the hydro-boost outlet and the steering gear inlet

Whichever line the cooler is inserted into, one thing is important - the flow through the cooler must be like this:

In from the bottom, up through the tubes and out from the top. This arrangement ensures that the cooler tubes are always flooded with fluid and eliminates the possibility of any air pockets forming.

If the hoses are connnected the opposite way, reverse them.

First bleed the Hydro-boost system as follows:

a. Fill power steering reservoir to proper level and allow vehicle to sit for approximately two minutes.

b. Start engine and allow to run for several minutes, then shut engine off. Correct fluid level as necessary. Do this several times until fluid level becomes constant.

c. Raise and support front of vehicle, then turn wheels lock to lock. Shut engine off and add fluid as necessary.

d. Lower vehicle, then start engine and depress brake pedal several times while turning steering wheel lock to lock.

e. Shut engine off, then depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times to allow accumulator to deplete.

f. Check reservoir and refill as required. If fluid is extremely foamy, allow vehicle to sit for several minutes, then repeat procedure above.

Then bleed the P/S system as below:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Very nice info... I do have hydroboost I have noticed that the return line up by the firewall has a three or four inch piece of hose that dosent look to good old cracked up ill replace that as well and do full bleed as specified above. I have the cooler inlet/outlets pointed up so I dont think any air is trapped in there...

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Looking at it now I have it plumbed from gearbox out to cooler to ps pump. Is that ok to keep it like that or should I swap it over to hydroboost to cooler to gear box

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What is important is that the cooler be in a high pressure section of the piping (i.e. anywhere but in the run between the outlet of the gearbox and the pump suction port.

This helps ensure that any air that is in the system won't migrate to the cooler and develop pockets of air. And also, as above, be sure that the flow through the cooler is into the bottom and out the top. This purges any air that may be in the system out pf the cooler.

Depending on the design of the cooler, if both nipples are pointing up - air can collect near the top and burp out in big bubbles. This is the reason other heat exchangers are always piped that way. Consider the transmission section of your radiator - ATF from the transmission goes in the bottom, up through the coils and exits at the top. The heater core is another example: hot coolant from the intake manifold goes into the bottom nipple and exits from the top.

Picture an empty cooler. When flow is begun the level rises up from the bottom and as it rises, it pushes any air above it out the top. The flow also flushes any hidden air pocket out of the coils.

If it flows in from the top, it can just pour right down past the air pocket and out the bottom. And any air that does get in there drastically reduces the surface area available to transfer heat from the fluid to the atmosphere.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Ok.. ill try move it so theres a top and bottom

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
And also watch the fluid in the reservoir while the engine is running - looking for any entrained air bubbling to the surface. Watch your hoses - looking for any bulging or pinch points.

Something is causing the level in the reservoir to quickly rise from normal. It would be nice if you could catch it as it happened. You know - if you saw the fluid level just suddenly rise up and overflow - or if a huge bubble of air violently burped from the fluid and splashed out.

BTW, to answer your question from an earlier post - the cap is not supposed to be an airtight seal. It needs to be able to vent as the level rises due to temp changes.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Almost sounds like a collapsed line. Fluid goes out under pressure but can't return the proper way.

I don't know what I'm talking about though and this is just what it sounds like to me.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That's my thought too.

Watch your hoses - looking for any bulging or pinch points.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
That sounds like whats happening I think its that top piece ill replace it tomorrow. .thx again for the info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77