Steering not right after new components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
12.50s aren't helping it not wander...:(

My truck is on 35x12.5's and doesn't wander at all. Steering is tight and it tracks and drives well.

Did you check the gearbox center like I said? What you are describing sounds like you are not centered to me.

Also, it looks like they didnt adjust anything on your alignment based on the before and after numbers. Also, you appear to be out of spec on toe, which would also contribute to the wandering feeling, but not the left-right turning feeling different. The left-right turning feeling different is almost sure to be related to the gearbox out of center.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I can go along with all of the specs EXCEPT for the camber, @Craig 85. In my experience you will wear the outside if the tire with that much camber. 1/2 degree or less would be a better figure to shoot for

pig beanus

Reaction score
First Name
will
Truck Year
Truck Model
d 30
Engine Size
Jack front end up and remove outer tie rod ends. Sweep wheels side to side and check for any binding/hard to turn. Had a county truck come in with new ball joints/ft.end parts. Ball joints were pressed in and damaged- I dont know if they were cheap joints or just pressed in wrong. The truck would not return to center and wandered all over the road. We replaced all 4 ball joints with moog parts and problem solved.... Something to check- just cause parts are new dosen't mean there good

Vetteman61

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks for the responses. My transmission went out since this post and also while that's going on I'm going ahead and putting the 4.10 gears in it. I'll have to get back to the steering once all of that is complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84