Steering Gear Rebuild... did I fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I took the plunge and rebuilt the steering box instead of buying one. Overall it wasn't terrible, the hardest part was getting the teflon seal to seat in the housing. Once reassembled I turned it through full range of motion and everything was smooth and quiet. Installed it back on the truck and cranked it up. Turned to the right nice and smooth. Try to turn left and it was like turning a manual gear while stationary. It was low on fluid and I believe some air got in the system. Added more and bled it, let the air bubbles settle, same problem.

I also have a lot of play in the wheel but am unable to adjust to set screw on the top any further even though I believe it has more room to go.

Needless to say I am frustrated. Does it sound like I missed an O-ring or damage a teflon seal? Or is it simple as air in the system. Please tell me its the second of the two because I really don't want to open it back up again!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
did you have rebuild instructions to follow? There are two different adjustments that are supposed to be made when assembling. If some internal parts are too worn, it wont be able to adjust within spec

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
If your sector shaft is really worn out, no amount of rebuilds will fix that unfortunately.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If your sector shaft is really worn out, no amount of rebuilds will fix that unfortunately.

That's what I was getting at. If it was leaking bad and was also loose feeling, it was worn. If it is too worn, then you need new parts not just new seals. A good way to find out is to see if you can adjust it back to within specs before you tear it down to rebuild.

Did you set the bearing preload and over center sector adjustment? I've attached the instructions.

Attachments

• RBGDisassembly&RepairPics4.doc
    363.5 KB · Views: 338

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Preload was set the same as when it came apart. I don't have a torque wrench but I didn't change the sector shaft setting from when I took it apart. I took the pitman arm off a minute ago and turned lock to lock trying to force any air out. Hooked it back up and refilled the fluid, no I can't turn the damn thing either direction. Its like its locked

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess I'll take it completely apart once more tonight and will look to see if I screwed anything up.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Preload was set the same as when it came apart. I don't have a torque wrench but I didn't change the sector shaft setting from when I took it apart. I took the pitman arm off a minute ago and turned lock to lock trying to force any air out. Hooked it back up and refilled the fluid, no I can't turn the damn thing either direction. Its like its locked

You say it's locked? How far did you tear it down? Did you take it apart all the way to the spool?
As in, did you get the ball bearings in correctly??

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Took it all the way down. I would imagine the bearings are in correct, it turned smooth on the bench and was moving just fine until I bled it with the pitman off.

All my ball bearings were the same color too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64