Steering gear box id help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abe

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So the steering gear box blew a leak out of the seal in the back and the trouble is, the box is a mystery box. Its in a 76 2wd c 10 with a swapped in big block, but the box is mounted on the inside of the frame, instead of on the outside like all the other ones I have seen. Question is, how do I find out what this came out of so I can go about getting the correct replacement parts and so on... any advice is much appreciated

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
We'll need pics of this, I'm not even sure how that is even possible!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
really, I gotta see this too. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
that's what I was thinking. but with what? highdesertranger

abe

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Allow me to rephrase part of that first, its not litterally inside of the frame itself. By inside the frame I meant mounred on the engine side of the frame and not the fender side. And as for pictures, can't figure out how to load them up on mobile.

abe

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That would explain other issues as well. With this being my first truck of this era, didn't know any better that a lot more than than the motor and trans were changed out. Does that gear box or piece of frame look at all familiar to anything.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well just taking a stab at it here but to me that looks like a nova/camero box. common conversion on the straight axle trucks. really can't think of why someone would do it to your year but I've seen odder things. highdesertranger

abe

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Assuming you're right, which I'm going to for now at least, is there a way to verify that anywhere on that front end or even just the generation of vehicle it came from? And also, I'm going to guess that the pump is original to the motor, which I believe is a 75, and if the gear box is off a camaro or whatnot, is that going to cause problems? Maybe why the box didn't just start leaking but almost quite litteraly popped the seal loose. I think if those questions are answered I might finally be able to sleep at night!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well I would check the casting numbers on the box and see if you can track it down that way. you could check the part numbers on the bare pump(no reservoir) see if they match. I mean check a truck of your year and a nova/camero I think the camero/nova you need to look at is '68 through '74 not 100% sure on this though. on another note I don't think the pump caused the seal to fail. highdesertranger

abe

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'll be looking into those without a doubt. The number on the gear box is apparently a common one for several gm cars, not trucks. As for what is is exactly not sure yet. Unfortunately the junkyards around my area lack pretty much most late 60s early 70s vehicles. At least I'm heading in the right direction to get this puzzle solved. I cant thank you and all the others enough that have shared your wisdom. Have learned my lesson when it comes to buying projects!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I can see if the numbers match up in anything in my interchange manual.

abe

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The number on the cap is 7806688
The only other ones i could make out are a 1 28 on the lid and a big 76 on the bottom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981