Steering Box Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ah, it is an Allen head.
But from the second pic that I posted, it looks like there’s a cap or something missing??

You must be registered for see images attach
if you want to put a cap on it, a large diameter vacuum cap cut short would probably work, but there is no reason to cap it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@TotalyHucked @75gmck25 give you good advice. That is the last screw touched when adjusting the box,it shouldn't need adjustment after initial setup,if it's sloppy something is wrong,worn or the box wasn't setup right to begin with. I posted the factory procedure somewhere in this thread.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
If you read the GM shop manual, it is definitely an adjustment point. However, there is at least one other adjustment you do before you touch that allen screw. It’s all explained in the repair manual.

And when you adjust the Allen screw the steering box should be disconnected from the steering linkage, and you should measure the drag with a spring scale to ensure you do not get it too tight.

I have also seen multiple posts where someone adjusted the play without following the manual, and they all seem to have survived. However, you need to be very cautious because in the worst case it could cause the steering box to unexpectedly bind, and possible lock up.
Exactly. That's why I just typically tell people it's not an adjustment at all. 99.9% of people will not do that or even know what a spring scale is lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That sets the pre-load on the worm gear. It can only be adjusted properly when the box is not hooked up. Did you touch it? You're screwed. Shut the damn hood.

Rich77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thank you all for the replies!

Forum statistics

Threads