Starter kicking back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, you prolly had all short bolts. Cuz it's true, if you use to long of bolts, you can be bending or binding a pushrod too depending on which bolts it is. What else am I forgetting that bolts to long with screw up? :shrug: Seems there is something else too along those lines.

This is going to drive me nuts. When I get home I'm yanking bolts out of everything, I got a couple virgin motors to check out too.

The fuel pump rod.
Remove short bolt, thread in a longer one to hold the rod in position while you mount the pump.
I bet some folks forgot to put the shorter bolt back in.

Yeah most people don't know about that bolt. The PO of my '84 dealt with an oil leak for years because that bolt was missing. I noticed it the first day I owned it, put a bolt in, then laughed at the PO (he's a friend).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The fuel pump rod.
Remove short bolt, thread in a longer one to hold the rod in position while you mount the pump.
I bet some folks forgot to put the shorter bolt back in.

Yep, I knew that one, was just trying to remember what else goes wrong using the wrong intake bolts. Hell, it might even a be a different motor I'm thinking of. I'm starting to get old and getting confused between SBC, BBC, Olds and Pancho engines.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
All I can say is you'll get used to the brain cells not working as well as they used to. Mine quit years ago,

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
lol that's where im headed too !

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So new msd coil, rotor, and cap are on the way
Hopefully that should fix it

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Could carb and riser being set to other intake make it run like it's out of time?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Wait, I thought you said that this all started after you changed the intake manifold gaskets (only the gaskets was implied). Did you also change the intake manifold and then mount your original carburetor and riser plate on it?

If you did, it shouldn't really matter as far as the backfiring issue. The only thing I can think of is if you mis-matched a spread bore carb/riser set up with a square bore manifold (or vice-versa).

While I am no expert on performance modifications, I dont believe that doing this would result in violent backfiring. It is my understanding that the worst that could happen would be reduced performance.

But the main point is; if you start a thread asking for help in diagnosing a problem, try to include any and all information regarding recent repairs, component changes and modifications. Also, it helps if you include a brief explanation of why the repair/modification was undertaken in the first place.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I replaced the intake also
It's ports aren't oversized for the heads
Single plane
Square bore on intake and riser also

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't understand what that means ?

Took me a minute to get that too. But what he means is, the carb is still tuned to his old intake and his answer is NO.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I replaced the intake also
It's ports aren't oversized for the heads
Single plane
Square bore on intake and riser also

No, Fuel Vaporization, Air Fuel Ratios, lean or rich primaries or secondaries, none of that will affect ignition timing.

What carb are you running on this square bore intake??? You may have said, I didn't give much thought to it. You can't be running a Qjet with that Squarebore intake. You can run it with a spreadbore to squarebore adapter. This can cause an internal vacuum leak IIRC within the intake/carb, that you won't find. Should cause an external leak too come to think of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64