Starter Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10 with a 350 in it. Newer battery
Sometimes, ill go to start it, and there'll be a pause when the engine turns extremely slow for a couple seconds, sometimes a little longer, then once it starts to go it cranks at normal speed and starts right up
it goes through phases, as far as i can remember i dont think its temp dependant. But, itll go through a phase where its completely fine, cranks as soon as you turn the key, its in one of these phases now. I think it happens every couple of weeks or something, i'm really not sure though. But, then itll go through a phase where it takes a couple seconds before it cranks.

Would this be fixed by replacing the starter? I've thought of replacing cables, but then if those where corroded wouldn't it be happening all the time?
What is this?

Thanks!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you check the terminals on the cables for corrosion?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, check the terminals for corrosion and being tight first. Also make sure it's tight at the starter solenoid.

If that's all good, do you have an amp meter where you can do your own starter draw test?

Do this happen like only when the motor is very well warmed up? As in possible vapor locking?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Did you check the terminals on the cables for corrosion?

I haven't, but i will as soon as i get a chance, i just havent had much luck trying that and having that fix a problem in the past

Yep, check the terminals for corrosion and being tight first. Also make sure it's tight at the starter solenoid.

If that's all good, do you have an amp meter where you can do your own starter draw test?

Do this happen like only when the motor is very well warmed up? As in possible vapor locking?

I do, but its an old style i've never used, not completely sure on how to read it lol

And, thinking back, it happens more when its hot, but it does happen cold, but as far as i can remember most of the times its done this its been hot, which i was thinking might have something to do with heating the wires in the engine compartment a little, leading to more resistance
Would it be vapor lock if it has happened cold a couple times?

Thanks for the help!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, Vapor Lock will not happen when it's cold. Normally, Vapor Lock is when you shut it off, and try to start it again about 10-20 minutes later and it cranks very very slow, and if you'd wait about an hour then it's just fine.

What happens is, when you shut it off, the fuel in the carb bowl vaporizes into the cylinders, and puts a strain on the starter trying to compress the gas bubble. Kinda like a fart bubble in your gut when you need to fart but can't. :poop:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would start with the easiest first. Get a good battery terminal brush. Clean the terminals and the clamps. I had the same problem the other day. Didn't see any corrosion but took the clamps off and cleaned them anyway. Stuck them back on and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would start with the easiest first. Get a good battery terminal brush. Clean the terminals and the clamps. I had the same problem the other day. Didn't see any corrosion but took the clamps off and cleaned them anyway. Stuck them back on and haven't had a problem since.

Please make sure if you do this to wear proper protection. Nothing tastes worse than getting battery acid dust in your mouth.. mmmmmmmm.

Ok well maybe 30 year old gas siphoned from a rotten gas tank that for a day all you burp is fumes from rotten gas. :Insane:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Please make sure if you do this to wear proper protection. Nothing tastes worse than getting battery acid dust in your mouth.. mmmmmmmm.

Ok well maybe 30 year old gas siphoned from a rotten gas tank that for a day all you burp is fumes from rotten gas. :Insane:

Hey dentists need job security too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117