Stalling in Gear and Brake Warning Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minchak1

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
350 V8
Hey y’all,
I just got an 83 GMC 1500 a couple months ago and I’ve replaced a few things including a new distributor. I went out last night and the truck kept stalling out when I was in gear. It has been running fine prior to this except for the fact that brake warning light is on my dash despite my brakes working fine. Are these related? Also what are some potential causes for these problems?

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Vacuum leak?
Timing?
What transmission?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Disconnect the brown wire from the brake proportioning valve. If the light goes out, you have unequal fluid pressure and bleeding may or may not correct it. If the light stays lit, you have a problem with the light's electrical circuit. Setting the parking brake also turns on the "brake warning" light.. There is a simple "spring tab" on the parking brake assembly with a single wire attached to it under the dash.. If that tab hangs up or gets bent, it will stay in contact with the bracket and not allow the light to turn off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag