Squarebody Differentials.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmm. My 85 c10 has a 12 bolt. I first learned it wasn't factory when oriellys and advance couldn't get a gasket for it because they said it didn't come with anyrhung but a 10.

Thw build aheet says 2.73....but since this truck has a 12 bolt obviosuly from a diff truck, how do I tell what gears are in it? Isn't it stamped inside on the gears?

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Squarebody Differnetials.

Count the teeth on the ring gear, and the pinion, devide the two and walah lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Jeep ran Dana 44's in the back of 3/4 ton and 1 Ton trucks for a good number of years and those rigs have been on the roads for decades, doing just fine. 10 bolts are about the same strength wise if not a little tougher, I'll be keeping my 10 bolt front and not feel worried at all about throwing an LSD up front. I run a wagoneer with Dana 44's, Detroit lockers and nearly 400 ft. Lbs. of torque to 33 inch tires and have had no issues there either. I think people talk about axle strength like they do about rifle caliber power. A grain of truth behind a train of second hand BS. Never seen an elk hit with a .30-.30 that didn't go down hard, and most would say it would bounce of the hide or some such bull.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree. I've said many times, I'm not afraid to run 10 bolts and will all day long. Especially knowing that there are people who throw them away like trash, so when I do occasionally break a 10 bolt part, I know it'll be easy to find a used one somewhere and for cheap. I've got 2 4x4 squares both with 10 bolts, and happen to have 2 spare 10 bolts I didn't pay a dime for and they are good working axles in good shape ready to roll. Sure they're not the strongest available but they're not as bad as the heavy wheelers make them out to be. I think it's the extreme wheelers, rock crawlers, and mod bog racers that need the heavy strength up front but for most of us, 10 bolts and Dana 44's will hold up to light to moderate wheeling and trail jumping and shallow mud fun. I think NP208 alluminun chain driven transfer cases get a bad wrap too. They're a bit stronger then they get credit for. Again, I'll run them and pick them up like cheap trash too and happen to have spares I didn't pay a dime for.

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Funny thing about NP208's, the view on their strength and thus validity for being in a 4x4 really depends on what crowd of gear heads your talking to. Full size domestic truck guys of the big three, all chain drives and aluminum drivetrain is junk and should be replaced with big, heavy, and gear driven like the NP205 or an Atlas. Big jeep guys, international guys, NP208 is a very desired upgrade that people actually pay money to go to. Along with the Dana 20 and Dana 300. Weird huh?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Count the teeth on the ring gear, and the pinion, devide the two and walah lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing about NP208's, the view on their strength and thus validity for being in a 4x4 really depends on what crowd of gear heads your talking to. Full size domestic truck guys of the big three, all chain drives and aluminum drivetrain is junk and should be replaced with big, heavy, and gear driven like the NP205 or an Atlas. Big jeep guys, international guys, NP208 is a very desired upgrade that people actually pay money to go to. Along with the Dana 20 and Dana 300. Weird huh?

You're talking 2 different crowds of people too. :laughing1: I find that Jeepers are Yuppies for the most part, and the big truck guys are rednecks. :shrug: Just seems to be the way it is. :rofl: But, an NP208 is great for a lightweight Jeep.

I can't say I'm not wanting the tough stuff too. My intent is to pretty much keep 1 of my 4x4's with the 10 bolts front and rear and NP208 for bad weather and daily driving. The other is going to have the 14b Full Float in the rear, and I would like someday for it to have an NP205 and Dana 60 up front. But that'll happen as I can afford it and acquire the cores. For now, it's going together with the 10 bolt up front converted to 8 lug from 6, an the NP208 and I expect it'll work just fine for what I'll be doing with it. If and when the heavy parts make there way into the truck, well then I'll just turn the hell raising up a few notches and let it roll.

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Well yeah, I guess compared to my suburban the 5,000 lbs wagoneer sitting next to it would be considered lightweight, but only barely. I guess I shoulda said full size jeep guys. But yes, two totally different crowds, which was kinda the point. And yup, I agree that for most, the stock 10 bolt and NP208 are more than adequate. I'd really love to see a doubler kit for it though, that would be pretty sweet. They make a gear splitter that offers a .50 drive for the SM465, and if they could split range on the NP208 with a doubler....16 forward gears....well that could be fun just to ponder!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well yeah, I guess compared to my suburban the 5,000 lbs wagoneer sitting next to it would be considered lightweight, but only barely. I guess I shoulda said full size jeep guys. But yes, two totally different crowds, which was kinda the point. And yup, I agree that for most, the stock 10 bolt and NP208 are more than adequate. I'd really love to see a doubler kit for it though, that would be pretty sweet. They make a gear splitter that offers a .50 drive for the SM465, and if they could split range on the NP208 with a doubler....16 forward gears....well that could be fun just to ponder!

I'm not so sure I could include a Wagoneer in the Jeeper crowd. I'm more referring to the XJ body jeepers. A Wagoneer has certain potential to be a bad ass rig. Kinda in the class between a K5 and K10 Burb.

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
This being about differentials though, any sweet tricks or tips about preserving or adding some strength to the 10 bolt front? I know virtually everything can be done to a Dana 44, all the way to built Strange axles with 40 splines and such, but what about the small corporate? Any cool upgrades for it other than cross over steering and an LSD or locker?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To the best of my knowledge, just stronger carriers like Detroit Locker or ARB, and chromolly axle shafts is about all I'm aware of. The later 10 bolts, I think 89 up, not positive on that so check to be sure, but they have 30 splines instead of 28 for what it's worth. You can go with the 30 spline axles in the earlier axles too but have to use the 30 spline spiders to match. However, the axles are the same thickness so they snap just like a 28 spline would, so unless you're having a problem shearing splines off, the 28 spline is just as strong/weak.

The good news is, many people look at a 10 bolt as a POS and as plentiful as they are, you can usually pick up a spare 10 bolt for next to nothing. I've seen them from haul it off for me, to $25, $50 and $100. Not bad to scoop one up if it's cheap and throw it behind the shed for a spare set of axles, stub shafts, carrier, hubs, knuckles or whatever, and the gear ratio doesn't matter if the purpose is just spare parts. I'll be keeping this 3.08 open front 10 bolt that's coming out of my K10 just for spare parts after I swap in the 10 bolt set up with 4.10's and ARB Air Locker.

walternator

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
1973 thru 87, I have several in various stages of running to parts
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.7 swapping out to 5.9 ltr cummins
Different diff

New here, looking for info. I towed home a 3/4 78 the other day, and it's got a Dana 50 up front. Any chance that's stock in that transitional period, and if not, anyone know what it might be off of? It sure looks like a stock installation, no pads moved or anything that I can see. Nevermind, I just saw the last post here was 2010, but I can't find a way to delete, just edit this post. sheesh.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dana 50? 77 & 78 were certainly transition years so either year could have had 10 bolt or Dana 44, but never heard of a Dana 50.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
New here, looking for info. I towed home a 3/4 78 the other day, and it's got a Dana 50 up front. Any chance that's stock in that transitional period, and if not, anyone know what it might be off of? It sure looks like a stock installation, no pads moved or anything that I can see. Nevermind, I just saw the last post here was 2010, but I can't find a way to delete, just edit this post. sheesh.

This is an ongoing thread. No problem waking it up. I'd rather have ongoing threads actually than duplicate threads anyway, so unless someone is selling something and it's old and probably sold by now, feel free to wake up old threads. That's how we keep them on top. :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The Dana 50 was used in the Furd Super Duty trucks, never in an old Chevy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The Dana 50 was used in the Furd Super Duty trucks, never in an old Chevy.

I'd say so then it was swapped in, but a Ford would be Driver side drop wouldn't it? So he's got a Dana 44 not a Dana 50. :shrug: Safe to assume???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad