Square body steering column tumbler problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigcountryNC

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hey guys new guy to the forum... I just picked up a 82 K10 needs lots of love.. so whats up is original steering column broken and floping around, seller had another one for me to install. Nothing to it he says...lol. No keys with other column so I have it installed and ordered a new tumbler. Well come to find out the column is a 78 or older as it has a slot you push a flat blade in to push in a tab on the tumbler to remove it. So new tumbler, I installed it and the problem is it will not turn back enough to get the marks to line up and the key will not come out of it. Not sure if I have the wrong tumbler or something is broken in the column. I have put pliers on the tab the tumbler engages with and it seems like it is hitting a hard stop when rotating it forward and back. Hope someone knows more about it than me...
Thanks in advance!!
BC

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Welcome from Salisbury, fellow north Carolinian!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Hey guys new guy to the forum... I just picked up a 82 K10 needs lots of love.. so whats up is original steering column broken and floping around, seller had another one for me to install. Nothing to it he says...lol. No keys with other column so I have it installed and ordered a new tumbler. Well come to find out the column is a 78 or older as it has a slot you push a flat blade in to push in a tab on the tumbler to remove it. So new tumbler, I installed it and the problem is it will not turn back enough to get the marks to line up and the key will not come out of it. Not sure if I have the wrong tumbler or something is broken in the column. I have put pliers on the tab the tumbler engages with and it seems like it is hitting a hard stop when rotating it forward and back. Hope someone knows more about it than me...
Thanks in advance!!
BC
Was the original a tilt column that was flopping around?

BigcountryNC

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yes it was a tilt column the original one. I finally got it straighten out this afternoon, rookie mistake.... thanks gents!

squaredrop

Reaction score
First Name
ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I had a similar issue the tumbler wouldn’t go back to lock position, I replaced the tumbler and had the same issue , it turned out that my 74 was converted from a column shift to a floor shift , the column shift casing had turned a little so the sector was hitting against a plate inside .the sector wasn’t lined up with the slot that was made for it so it was hitting a plate , I turned the column shift casing until it cleared and the key rolled back to lock

BigcountryNC

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Squaredrop hit the nail on the head same thing on my truck... converted 4 speed truck has auto column that was twisted.... Hey to Carolina crew!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl