Spewing oil out the vent tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My truck seems to be doing odd things lately. This one was a new one...

For 10 years I have driven the truck and not had this happen- but yesterday it was about 70 degrees here and did some exploring in the forest service all day long. It took longer to get back to the main road than I thought and then was going to be late for an appointment. I drove 75 mph on the highway for about an hour. (My speedometer doesn't work that well- lots of bounce. But engine RPM was 3,500. Truck has 4.10 gears) When I stopped I wondered why I smelled oil. Looked under the truck and the rear diff is covered in oil. The vent line comes out of the diff and is mounted to the underside of the bed right over the diff. Oil had gushed out of the vent tube and spilled down on the axle. I'm guessing maybe about a cup was lost?

I've driven it at 65 mph for 4 hours straight before without this happening.

Only thing different lately was I had by old summer tires mounted on new wheels and installed a few days ago. Tires were marked on where they came from and needed to be rotated. They rotated the passenger side but not the drivers side. My rear tires do wear faster than the front as it has a detroit locker in it. I'm guessing there might be a very slight difference in rear tire height, but that shouldn't make a locker heat up right?

Or I do have the exhaust cut off and dumps on the ground before the rear axle. Would 3,500 RPM be a "blast furnace" of heat to the rear axle?

Today or tomorrow I'll rotate the driver side tires and add fluid to the rear diff again. Just enough for it to start to spill out the add tube. Fluid back there was only about a year old. Conventional 80-90 weight. Directions for the detroit locker said not to use synthetic.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wow very strange.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What do you have in it for lube? Sounds like it foamed for some reason.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds like it was overfilled, or the check valve is broken

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It was Valvoline 80w-90 gear lube. Haven't done any water crossings with it recently either. I filled it up to the edge of the fill hole 2 years and 2 months ago when I put on a cast iron protective differential cover. Haven't touched it since. It has been my daily driver now for the last 16 months.

I'm very baffled. Guess I'll drive around with my infared thermometer and check the temperature each time I drive it. From some towing forums I've heard normal temp should be 180-200. A bit higher when towing something heavy.

Check valve? What check valve? Thought there is just a rubber hose with a little umbrella style cap on the end of it.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
It was Valvoline 80w-90 gear lube. Haven't done any water crossings with it recently either. I filled it up to the edge of the fill hole 2 years and 2 months ago when I put on a cast iron protective differential cover. Haven't touched it since. It has been my daily driver now for the last 16 months.

I'm very baffled. Guess I'll drive around with my infared thermometer and check the temperature each time I drive it. From some towing forums I've heard normal temp should be 180-200. A bit higher when towing something heavy.

Check valve? What check valve? Thought there is just a rubber hose with a little umbrella style cap on the end of it.

The "umbrella style cap" kinda works like a check valve....its designed to let expanded air out when the oil heats up. If overfilled and heated, it allows excess oil out along with the air. The auto trans on my duramax diesel did the same. When I was towing up a long grade last month, puuling my toyhauler (15k lbs)... trans fluid spewed out making a mess under the truck and all over the front of the trailer. I discovered that the transmission shop overfilled the transmission ( which is very easy to do if filled cold). I have since installed a stainless steel overflow catch tank up underneath that attaches via the rubber vent tubing. The catch can also has a drain petcock so I can retrieve the overflowed fluid. If you cant figure out why it is spewing out, maybe install a catch tank?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04