Speedo replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Well since I broke mine trying to replace the lights behind it, I got a replacement. My question is do I have to pull the whole cluster or is there a way I can get the speedo assembly swapped without pulling it all out?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
You should be able to reach behind and unplug the spedo cable. There is another connector that uses a small socket to remove. But it is easier to just take the cluster out.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
To change the speedometer head, you will have to remove the dash bezel. Also, the lens and gauge bezel from the cluster assembly:

1. Release 4 screws and remove the lower trim piece from the steering column:

You must be registered for see images attach

2. With the lower trim removed, two more screws will be seen behind it (circled in red). Remove them along with the eight remaining bezel mounting screws (circled in yellow):

3. If you still have a stock radio,the knobs might have to be removed. The headlight switch knob/shaft can stay in place - the knob will pass through the hole in the bezel.

4.The upper center A/C duct will stay attached to the bezel and come away with it.

With the dash bezel removed, the cluster lens can come off. Release the 6 screws that secure it to the bucket as shown:

You'll have this:

Pop the gauge bezel off the locating posts and lift away.

You'll have this:

Lay on your back and reach up behind the cluster feel around until you locate the speedometer cable follow it until you find where it connects to the speedometer head. It is a snap-in type connector that is released by pushing in on the tab. The tab is on the bottom - push up on it and pull the cable from the head.

Sometimes it is difficult to squeeze the release tab while pulling back on the cable at the same time. If you have an assistant, have them reach into the engine compartment and apply gentle tension on the cable while you push the release tab. With the tab pushed in, and your helper pulling on the cable it will pop right off.

The rest is straight forward:

Back the 3 securing screws for the speedometer head out of the cluster and remove the head. Put the new head in, re-engage the cable to the back of the head and button everything back up.

Some advice from many hours of ******* with these dashboards/clusters/lenses etc:

1. Use the correct size nutdriver (9/32") on the lens screws

2. Apply a dab of Vaseline to each screw

3. When tightening the screws, don't overdo it! As soon as you feel the screw bottom out - STOP. I have never seen one of these back out but I have seen many cluster posts shatter as the screw is tightened.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe