Speaker pods/General stereo questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
 Four  three inch speakers in my dash. And I think the shallowness of the 4 inch measurement likely limits excursion of the 10 inch length . Beside he point. Much higher quality speakers can be found in three inches than 4x10? and prolly cheaper too. I'm using Pioneer 3s but back in he day when real sound quality + power handling was my concern in a G body I spent a grip on DENON 3s. I dont think they make em anymore. Im not regressed to total noobdom like you, but I thought I would add my experience with squarebody dash speakers.
Plus! Doubling the number of speakers adds 8db. And 4 dash speakers is greater than 2 or 1 in my book.
Stereo > Mono. Who doesn't want left and right side in the center ?
maybe you truck doesn't have that, I dont know. :shrug: but I DO know you can put 2x 3 inch speakers in one 4x10 hole - they has an adaptor.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Here is what I have in the dash and the pad..its got a cutout for (1) 4x10, (2) 3.5 but no center speaker was installed

Attachments

• PXL_20230831_195231946.jpg
    PXL_20230831_195231946.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20230831_195136549.jpg
    PXL_20230831_195136549.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 56

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Aww yeah BB!

You could getcha a sweet 4x50 or so amp..make no speaker connections to the head unit ofc.. Run 4x3s wired in 2 ohm parallel out the front channels wired 8ohm at the amp (4 ohm load) and then getcha a pair of 6x9 adapters to put in the rear 4x10 holes wired 4ohm. Joo got a Blazer or a truck?
Shove the amp under the passenger seat, runnin all the factory grilles....
Booyah!

Big assed pimpin loud AF stereo - looks all stock.

You could eff around and buy a big pimpin amp like an Orion 275sx and push a ton of power out that sum bish behind the factory grilles. One channel for the front, one for the back..

That's my idea anyway.

Getcha a plastic toolbox in the back and run a bandpass 10 inch sub with another amp in there.....might could shop around and find the perfect fit to manage an invisible 12 inch sub if you has Blazer.
Wire a fan off the remote amp power and cutcha little hole in the back to blow air over the amp...perfect inviso system.

I may not know what i'm talkin about tho.

Last edited:

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@scenic760 , imagination and funds is the limit with this stuff. When Easton wanted to do stereo I took a backseat. He spent 1K on amazon and got a great system that we can hear when he drives in the neighborhood. Never understood 1500 watt amp for a standard cab truck but what do dads know anyway. He put dual Chanel speaker in dash and just 6X9’s behind the seat and the enormous sub behind seat. He loves it !
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_9911.jpeg
    IMG_9911.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9912.jpeg
    IMG_9912.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9906.jpeg
    IMG_9906.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7475.jpeg
    IMG_7475.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 54

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Aww yeah BB!

You could getcha a sweet 4x50 or so amp..make no speaker connections to the head unit ofc.. Run 4x3s wired in 2 ohm parallel out the front channels wired 8ohm at the amp (4 ohm load) and then getcha a pair of 6x9 adapters to put in the rear 4x10 holes wired 4ohm. Joo got a Blazer or a truck?
Shove the amp under the passenger seat, runnin all the factory grilles....
Booyah!

Big assed pimpin loud AF stereo - looks all stock.

You could eff around and buy a big pimpin amp like an Orion 275sx and push a ton of power out that sum bish behind the factory grilles. One channel for the front, one for the back..

That's my idea anyway.

Getcha a plastic toolbox in the back and run a bandpass 10 inch sub with another amp in there.....might could shop around and find the perfect fit to manage an invisible 12 inch sub if you has Blazer.
Wire a fan off the remote amp power and cutcha little hole in the back to blow air over the amp...perfect inviso system.

I may not know what i'm talkin about tho.

I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible just for the wow factor and I really would prefer not to start cutting on sheetmetal. I'm putting together a Suburban so space for a subwoofer won't be an issue, haha...

Lemme ask you this, I know 6x9's are going to sound fuller than the 4x10's no matter what..but if I put a 12" sub in the back won't that compensate for a lack of bass in the 4x10's to a certain degree? Also, and once again it's been a while since I've done this, the acoustics in the Suburban allow for a clearer sound path from the rear speakers not having to fire through the seats?

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
@scenic760 , imagination and funds is the limit with this stuff. When Easton wanted to do stereo I took a backseat. He spent 1K on amazon and got a great system that we can hear when he drives in the neighborhood. Never understood 1500 watt amp for a standard cab truck but what do dads know anyway. He put dual Chanel speaker in dash and just 6X9’s behind the seat and the enormous sub behind seat. He loves it !

That's a pretty clean install! It looks like he laid Kilmat all over too? Although with a 1500w amp and that sub, I'm not sure you would need to overcome a whole lot of road noise, haha

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Yeah he did it in doors and everywhere. But you’re right “what road noise”!

Attachments

• IMG_8144.jpeg
    IMG_8144.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8145.jpeg
    IMG_8145.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8147.jpeg
    IMG_8147.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8155.jpeg
    IMG_8155.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8149.jpeg
    IMG_8149.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 43

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible just for the wow factor and I really would prefer not to start cutting on sheetmetal. I'm putting together a Suburban so space for a subwoofer won't be an issue, haha...

Lemme ask you this, I know 6x9's are going to sound fuller than the 4x10's no matter what..but if I put a 12" sub in the back won't that compensate for a lack of bass in the 4x10's to a certain degree? Also, and once again it's been a while since I've done this, the acoustics in the Suburban allow for a clearer sound path from the rear speakers not having to fire through the seats?
When you tune the system, the 6x9's and the subs should not be playing the same frequency's.
The subs will be playing the deep stuff usually from 80Hz and down.
While the 6x9's will be playing the mid bass to fill out the sound of the music.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Not to cause a thread derailment, but how do you all like the vinyl flooring? I am considering it over carpet.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I support vinyl flooring - you bet!

Even before I saw what Catbox said was thinking 6x9s get tuned to midbass if you  also  have a 12. The cutoff would be 80-125h, I reckon. Modern Pioneer headunits have that EQ function out of the box. For guys like you and I the need for something like an AudioControl 2 or 4xs has been eliminated. No real need to buy a separate crossover - if you buy a quality head unit.
Oh a Suburban?! Sky's the limit. Ever consider a false floor in the back hiding 4x15s under carpet? LOL.

Seriously though..i'm all about the plastic toolbox in the back with a sub box innit. Or I consider carpeting the box in full - not cutting a hole through the carpet or nothin..wonder how that would work? I think a toolbox would be more inconspicuous but you'd have to find the perfect sub box or make one. Screw the amp to the box and blow a computer fan over it and out - you'd be good to go.

That's my ideas. About that. I'm all for a bad azz stereo system that you can't see. I have always built that.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Even before I saw what Catbox said was thinking 6x9s get tuned to midbass if you  also  have a 12. The cutoff would be 80-125h, I reckon. Modern Pioneer headunits have that EQ function out of the box. For guys like you and I the need for something like an AudioControl 2 or 4xs has been eliminated. No real need to buy a separate crossover - if you buy a quality head unit.
Oh a Suburban?! Sky's the limit. Ever consider a false floor in the back hiding 4x15s under carpet? LOL.

Seriously though..i'm all about the plastic toolbox in the back with a sub box innit. Or I consider carpeting the box in full - not cutting a hole through the carpet or nothin..wonder how that would work? I think a toolbox would be more inconspicuous but you'd have to find the perfect sub box or make one. Screw the amp to the box and blow a computer fan over it and out - you'd be good to go.

That's my ideas. About that. I'm all for a bad azz stereo system that you can't see. I have always built that.
I was all with you up until you said to mount the amp to the sub box.

That is how amps eventually die.
It has the ability to break the small connections on the insides of the amp loose and suddenly you let the smoke out.

Ideally you want to mount the amp to the vehicle in a way it will not be shaken to death by all the excellent power it puts out.

We have to keep all these little goodies tight to the board for many years of clean power.
This is a quite old Eclipse four channel amp in my stash of goodies.
I plan to use this one to power the speakers in my truck one of these days.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That or simply bolting down to the vehicle or a mount that is attached to the vehicle.
It just keeps it from beating itself up with the sub.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Not to cause a thread derailment, but how do you all like the vinyl flooring? I am considering it over carpet.
He loves it. He mows lawns for a living so as a kid who is not “clean” this was a great choice on his part

Randy

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size

Alrighty...here is what I'm going to give it a shot with...I'm going to stick with the 4x10 size in the center and rear, put 3.5" in the dash and a custom sealed box for a shallow mount 12" sub...everything is a bit rough at the moment

Pioneer the best way to go on the head unit? I was looking at their component units and it looks like it would solve a lot of problems?

Attachments

• PXL_20230920_045851653.jpg
    PXL_20230920_045851653.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230920_050023443.jpg
    PXL_20230920_050023443.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member