Sourcing a posi unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I believe I have the 14 bolt corporate rear,would like to convert to posi.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, it'll be a 14 bolt full floater with 10.25 inch ring gear. That's a 2pc carrier so whatever you get will require splitting the carrier and resetting up the Ring and Pinion lash. You can go with a Spartan Locker, Richmond Powertraxx Lock Right, Detroit Locker or I think Grizzly makes a locker too. If you get limited slip, then it'll require complete carrier replacement.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
A Detroit Locker will fit into your peg leg carrier without modification.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You should lead by example, weld up your differentials and report back to us on how it handles.
It works fine no different than any other locker. you just have to know what you are doing and clean up the differential before you weld

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It works fine no different than any other locker. you just have to know what you are doing and clean up the differential before you weld
Except it doesn't work like "any other locker" because you've turned it into a spool. Perhaps you should spend some time researching the different types of lockers available, and how they work, prior to offering advice.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Except it doesn't work like "any other locker" because you've turned it into a spool. Perhaps you should spend some time researching the different types of lockers available, and how they work, prior to offering advice.
you know what all i know is that when i welded a differential it acts just like my friends truck with a locker. So if you are gonna keep nitpicking **** it. I was just trying to put the cheapest way to lock a diff that has seemed to work well for me.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
you know what all i know is that when i welded a differential it acts just like my friends truck with a locker. So if you are gonna keep nitpicking **** it. I was just trying to put the cheapest way to lock a diff that has seemed to work well for me.
And you know what? I totalled a car, because I ran a spool on the street. You give it any gas, on a slick surface; and you will be facing the wrong way before you know it. The OP specifically requested info on a posi unit, not an unsafe hack job. Do a Google search on it. Welded spider gears on the street are just that- unsafe...

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
If you want something with perfect street manners (no clunking, clicking, or banging) then you might look into the Eaton Truetrac. This does its job silently and since it uses gears inside of it instead of clutch packs you don't need to run a friction additive and there are no clutches to wear out. And it is easier on tire wear if you turn a lot on pavement. A locker will have more tire wear as the inside tire will scuff a bit around sharp turns when accelerating. They can also clunk/bang if they happen to lock or unlock when turning.

That being said the Truetrac or a real "posi" will be more expensive than a locker. I think the Truetrac is about $300 more than a detroit or yukon locker. The locker would be stronger too if things get a bit rough.

Last edited:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you want something with perfect street manners (no clunking, clicking, or banging) then you might look into the Eaton Truetrac. This does its job silently and since it uses gears inside of it instead of clutch packs you don't need to run a friction additive and there are no clutches to wear out. And it is easier on tire wear if you turn a lot on pavement. A locker will have more tire wear as the inside tire will scuff a bit around sharp turns when accelerating. They can also clunk/bang if they happen to lock or unlock when turning.

That being said the Truetrac or a real "posi" will be more expensive than a locker. I think the Truetrac is about $300 more than a detroit or yukon locker. The locker would be stronger too if things get a bit rough.
Awesome reply. I learned something new. I'm gonna do some more reading on the TrueTrac. Thank you!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yep, all 100% true. I've usually been one to save the $300 and live with the clunking and clicking because as you mention is also stronger. As far as street manners, nawww don't have those either. I'll even fart at the Thanksgiving dinner table sitting right next to Grandma, so I damn sure don't worry about street manners. :happy175:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Here's where experience and age does make a difference. Everything being said about welding up your gears by others is 100% true. It is also dangerous on the street. Do people do it? Yep, they do but it's not advice I'd give to someone looking for a street posi or locker. It also breaks parts like axles. Your situation might have been different. Maybe it was a lighter car with smaller tires. I don't suggest it in a truck. Cops give tickets too for barking tires thinking it's a burnout, so they cite you for exhibition of speed. If you want to make your suggestion to where it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, You can say, what worked for me when I was broke and didn't have alot of cash I did..... And the others can chime in and be against the suggestion as I would have been against it too. Welding spiders is for dirt trackers or off roaders. It's a cheap locker or spool but it's not good for the street for several reasons. You get that **** on some snow or ice, you could end up dead over it.

Just sayin', be willing to learn and be willing to be stand corrected without a chip on your shoulder. I'm not going to toot my horn here, but I'll say I know a ton of **** about these trucks, and it wasn't that long ago, I was corrected. Funny part was, about 20 others were right along with me, and this 1 guy pops up says and NO that's wrong. So I checked it out, and that 1 guy was right.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Here's where experience and age does make a difference. Everything being said about welding up your gears by others is 100% true. It is also dangerous on the street. Do people do it? Yep, they do but it's not advice I'd give to someone looking for a street posi or locker. It also breaks parts like axles. Your situation might have been different. Maybe it was a lighter car with smaller tires. I don't suggest it in a truck. Cops give tickets too for barking tires thinking it's a burnout, so they cite you for exhibition of speed. If you want to make your suggestion to where it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, You can say, what worked for me when I was broke and didn't have alot of cash I did..... And the others can chime in and be against the suggestion as I would have been against it too. Welding spiders is for dirt trackers or off roaders. It's a cheap locker or spool but it's not good for the street for several reasons. You get that **** on some snow or ice, you could end up dead over it.

Just sayin', be willing to learn and be willing to be stand corrected without a chip on your shoulder. I'm not going to toot my horn here, but I'll say I know a ton of **** about these trucks, and it wasn't that long ago, I was corrected. Funny part was, about 20 others were right along with me, and this 1 guy pops up says and NO that's wrong. So I checked it out, and that 1 guy was right.
Well said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue