something that disolves rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
aint none of that stuff around me, no truck stops or anything.

as for naval jelly I forgot about that stuff, where can I get some at? buddy of mine used it on his bumper and worked great.

yea Curt, I aint looking to paint it, but if I have to I'll grind it, self etch prime, then do some body work, reprime and sand/paint.

I can live with it as is, but if I can get it better I'm gonna try.

I can say for sure that it had rust issues, they got tired of it, had the blue truck painted, had them sand, adhesive promoter, then paint the rollbar to match the truck. then at some point some cheap spray can black got put on, that black blistered immediately after applying stripper, the blue took awhile, bet it had hardner in it. Then it had clear/milky white under it had to be adhesive promoter.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
They will clean up but won't look awesome if yea have the time get some aircraft paint stripper, use it to get the coating off the rims might take 3 or 4 coats then you can use my mix to clean em up to have a shine if your looking for crazy results your gonna need to sand em out and get some polishing supplies with a grinder like a dewalt dw849 you'd need a jacksonlea brown bar, green bar, and white finishing bar a purple airway buff and loose ply 60 ply pad, for sand paper prolly 400 and 800 used on either an electric or air orbital palm sander

Dont have peterbuilt supply shop near me also. Why dont sign up to be vender and sell to us.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I were you Dave, I'd find an old aluminum wheel you don't give a **** about and practice first before you go fuggin up and good wheel to a set of 4. Know whata mean? That's pretty much a rule on any chemical. You try it in an inconspicious place first to see the results before you do it on something that is forever visible.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If I were you Dave, I'd find an old aluminum wheel you don't give a **** about and practice first before you go fuggin up and good wheel to a set of 4. Know whata mean? That's pretty much a rule on any chemical. You try it in an inconspicious place first to see the results before you do it on something that is forever visible.

I know. Maybe I'll try it one my gmt400 aluminum wheels. There too plain looking for me. I'll probably replace those if I decide to get a lift kit for my truck.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Might be able to work something out on becoming a vendor jacksonleas real sticky as to who they sell to like in Alberta peterbilt has exclusive rights everyone else has to order through them and they're prices are inflate 10% over peterbilts, now my old man has a contact from jacksonlea so if anyone can work something out it will be him for the longest time we were getting direct from them

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
hhhmmm evaporust never heard of it, wonder if rust reformer or whatever c4 uses would do anything? I know it's good for doing it then painting but I am trying to get away from painting the thing.

I had it saved in my favorites from doing research a while back. http://www.safestrustremover.com/

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well nevrdull did nothing, trying oven cleaner, window cleaner and 0000 steel wool worked on some, like the big stuff, but th elittle specs it did hardly anything at all for them.

Looking at getting some naval jelly and/or some of the evaporust stuff.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Best way to clean rust is with sand blasting and paint!!!!!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
might be but I'm not painting it, if I was then I'd grind it and spray some self etch primer.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
evaporust, SUCKS

I left crap immeresed in it over night, barely ANY difference. Yea it changed the liquid colors to more rusty orange, but it barely did anything.

IMO it removes what a brillo pad or steel wool can, that's about it, heavy rust NO. surface rust, yea light stuff.

Next up is some naval jelly once I find some and buy it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
evaporust, SUCKS

I left crap immeresed in it over night, barely ANY difference. Yea it changed the liquid colors to more rusty orange, but it barely did anything.

IMO it removes what a brillo pad or steel wool can, that's about it, heavy rust NO. surface rust, yea light stuff.

Thanks for the update. I know now not to buy it. I had a feeling the printed label on the bottle was overrated on how it worked. Got any pics on how it did?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Neener Neener guys. My bro works for this oil well head shop. They have this huge bead blaster that they put the part in and shut the door. Parts are covered in grimy dried oil, concrete, mud, rust and all. Put the part in the bead blaster they come out an hour later looking brand new and shiney. My bro asked the bosses, anytime we want something bead blasted, just take it up there on a Saturday and we can bead blast what want. My bro says its huge. I asked if a Big Block would fit in it. He said Oh hell yes. I know I'll be using that puppy.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
evaporust, SUCKS

Have you fitted the bar in your truck yet? If there will be a lot of alterations made I would do all that first. Sounds like a sanding disk on a drill is going to be the best bet for the heavy stuff, then sand it smoother with a palm sander, then clearcoat. I'm anxious to see how it looks now, all I know is how it looked when you got it!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep test fit, works fine, no alterations. Only thing I MAY have to do is cut the bottom ears on the front legs, the outermost rear ones, because my bedsides slope upwards and they hit holding the bar up off the floor a 1/4 inch or so. No biggie.

As for pics nope, I'll get somebut there is no difference. As far as the rust goes, as for you c4, it's alot different bubba for sure. I was gonna wait until it was mounted in the bed or cleaned and polishd as best as I can get it before posting pics.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
plenty of pics.....

what I'm working with trying to get down as best I can...

You must be registered for see images attach

now davbell here's ya some before after and during pics using evaporust...

not the same leg as before but an after overnight soaking...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85