something that disolves rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
anyone know something good to eat up/remove rust from chrome? standard soap pad/brillo/steel wool aint cutting it, might try steel wool and wd-40 or something cut I wonder if clr or something will disolve it.

Also anything to remove scratches in chrome? Like reg rubbing compound and such like a car's paintjob or scratch remover? I may try it anyways.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I know Dollar General oven cleaner and steel wool works. I was also told the glass cleaner works even better.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
hmmm migt be worth trying. I remember your thread, and was wondering what you found worked best. The rust is rough kinda pitted like, so brillo won't do it, need to disolve the junk basically.

while I'm at it let me add something to the first post....

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Could also try evaporust which is sold at AZ.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am glad you brought this up, I got one of those Mr. Heater round headed things that screw into a propane tank for heat, the whole shell used to be chrome, now it's all rusted up and doesn't deflect the heat out like it used to. I was trying to think of a way to fix it up and make it shine again instead of plopping out another 80 bucks for a new one.

I would't know what to use to paint it with....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
hhhmmm evaporust never heard of it, wonder if rust reformer or whatever c4 uses would do anything? I know it's good for doing it then painting but I am trying to get away from painting the thing.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Rust Reformer just basically neutralizes it, and preps it for paint like primer. I think you still have to prime over Rust Reformer though. What you're wanting to do though I'm not sure what would be the best way to tackle it. It might be better to sand blast it, skim it, prime/sand/prime then use that silver chrome paint on it. It wont be like real chrome but it may be as close as it can get. I was a little shocked when I saw some of the paint chipped and that chrome shining underneath lol.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Go to your local peterbilt pick up a jacksonlea green bar grind it up with a cheese grater put it in an empty pop bottle mix it with gasoline use of like a hand polish with 0000 steel wool but go with the grain of the chrome should clean her up like new

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Navel Jelly is what I'd try first. Messy ****, and DO NOT get it on your skin !!! It WILL eat thru your skin in a hurry and burn like hell.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Go to your local peterbilt pick up a jacksonlea green bar grind it up with a cheese grater put it in an empty pop bottle mix it with gasoline use of like a hand polish with 0000 steel wool but go with the grain of the chrome should clean her up like new

Never heard of this stuff, but coming from a guy that polishes chrome and aluminum, I'd expect you've tried it and had great results. I'll try it next time I am doing some chrome. :High 5:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

Thats works the same on aluminum wheels too? What the aluminum wheels that have the film layer on them?

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Never heard of this stuff, but coming from a guy that polishes chrome and aluminum, I'd expect you've tried it and had great results. I'll try it next time I am doing some chrome. :High 5:

Its all I ever use for hand polish things like places I can't get with a grinder its 1/4 of the bottle ground up green bar and 3/4's gas for $20 you can have hand polish for the next 2 years + see the problem with other shelf hand polishes is they use nepta petroleum (synthetic gasoline product) its what leaves the white haze the gas in my mix evaporates and doesn't leave a haze hope it works out for yea if :)

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Thats works the same on aluminum wheels too? What the aluminum wheels that have the film layer on them?

They will clean up but won't look awesome if yea have the time get some aircraft paint stripper, use it to get the coating off the rims might take 3 or 4 coats then you can use my mix to clean em up to have a shine if your looking for crazy results your gonna need to sand em out and get some polishing supplies with a grinder like a dewalt dw849 you'd need a jacksonlea brown bar, green bar, and white finishing bar a purple airway buff and loose ply 60 ply pad, for sand paper prolly 400 and 800 used on either an electric or air orbital palm sander