SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME very appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OH YEAH, that engine with the weak valve springs, on a compression test, it was excellent, almost completely even all the way across, the weak springs did`nt show up at all on the test.
Changing out valve springs is`nt too tough and, while I would be at it, I also would remove the timing cover and check them sprockets and the chain too.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not fer nuthin, but I have had some instances where an ignition scope showed a bad coil pattern, and the vehicle would only run with base timing waaaayyyy advanced. Replaced the coil, and boom. Was able to bring the timing back to spec.

I realize that this would be " throwing parts" but at this point, I am reaching for anything.

Every once in a while, one of those scopes comes up for sale, it`d be nice to have one, in good working order.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I had an old snap on scope...wish I kept it.
Codey, have you looked at the distributor pick up coil at all?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As far as you know, did the previouse owner do anything to it?

Are you thinking someone might have opened it up and put some dome pistons in a Wee O Five??? :shrug: I mean, sure it's possible, there's another ******* born everyday or 1 come out of the wood work. I've seen people get all excited and throw a ton of cash at a Wee O Five on forums before, but noone I associate with in person does. Everyone I know personally in person, has scrapped Wee O Five short blocks. I did save Con Rods out of one once and the crank too, then I decided the debate whether or not a 305 and 350 can share the same crank wasn't worth it and I leaned more toward they are NOT interchangeable and scrapped the crank too. I did keep the heads though. Some guys who do dirt track racing like 305 heads on 350s for the low end torque and higher compression.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Are you thinking someone might have opened it up and put some dome pistons in a Wee O Five??? :shrug: I mean, sure it's possible, there's another ******* born everyday or 1 come out of the wood work. I've seen people get all excited and throw a ton of cash at a Wee O Five on forums before, but noone I associate with in person does. Everyone I know personally in person, has scrapped Wee O Five short blocks. I did save Con Rods out of one once and the crank too, then I decided the debate whether or not a 305 and 350 can share the same crank wasn't worth it and I leaned more toward they are NOT interchangeable and scrapped the crank too. I did keep the heads though. Some guys who do dirt track racing like 305 heads on 350s for the low end torque and higher compression.

Was thinking more along the lines of somebody replaced the timing chain and was not paying attention to details....after all, there was not the slack when he was testing it, that you would expect out of an engine with that kind of mileage.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Was thinking more along the lines of somebody replaced the timing chain and was not paying attention to details....after all, there was not the slack when he was testing it, that you would expect out of an engine with that kind of mileage.

It's possible. That's why I asked if it had ever run good since he had it. My bro has worked on his own car, rebuilt the motor didn't do as I said, and had a rod knock at just off idle on a brand new motor when he come to show me his car running. Of course I was the ******* cuz I was the one that told him he had a rod knock with only 15 miles on the motor. Didn't believe me so he went to the machine shop and I kept my mouth shut but made sure I was there to hear him say, Bud, you gotta rod knock !!! TOADJA !!! But then it was my fault again cuz I didn't go help him do it when the ******* wouldn't wait for me to get off work. So he rebuilt the motor AGAIN with a new crank and new bearings, and this time he took the block the machine shop and had it hot tanked to get all the metal shavings out of it like I told him to do the first time. Then he had a poppin in the intake. I told him he has a timing chain off time. He said NO it can't be cuz it's a zero clearance motor and it would have bent a valve. I said NO, not jf it's off a tooth or 2 or 3. Then I got told I've never worked on a 4.6 Mustang motor before so what the **** do I know. At that point I washed my hands with it. He parked the fuggin car and went and bouth another Mustang GT, that he couldn't afford cuz now he has 2 car payments cuz he didn't want to listen AGAIN. So he sells the 2002 GT for Payoff of $3000 even though he's put $4000 in 2 motor builds and a clutch in the last 100 miles on the car. The guy that bought the car had it hauling balls the next day when he came to pick up the notarized title from my bro. I had to ask, so what was wrong it? The passenger side bank timing chain was off by 2 teeth. (4.6 Ford motors are OHC and have a chain for each head). Again, TOADJA !!!

OK, so moral of the story is.... The previous owner could have been a ******** like my brother, who after 5 months couldn't make the payments on the 2007 Mustang #2 either and the bank took it back so now he has no Mustang GT at all and is being sued for a $8000 deficiency. Sometimes it pays to listen to those ********* that don't know anything huh?

coocooman01

Reaction score
First Name
evan
Truck Year
1985 and 87
Truck Model
1500 silverado 4x4
Engine Size
Replace the spark knock sensor....evan

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is that the very top of the distributor also I don't wanna seem dumb but I was blowing smoke in my vac lines it started to come out around the smog pump is that normal I should have plugged something? I drove it today doesn't even drive its killing me and by the way u guys r all nuts haha I love it and thanks hot rod PC I was Gunna put vortex heads and cam on my wee o five ;-)

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Is that the very top of the distributor also I don't wanna seem dumb but I was blowing smoke in my vac lines it started to come out around the smog pump is that normal I should have plugged something? I drove it today doesn't even drive its killing me and by the way u guys r all nuts haha I love it and thanks hot rod PC I was Gunna put vortex heads and cam on my wee o five ;-)

thats the coil in the top of the dist.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
by the way u guys r all nuts haha I love it and thanks hot rod PC I was Gunna put vortex heads and cam on my wee o five ;-)

Hey, don't let me stop you on the Cam and Vortec heads on the Wee O Five. Look at it this way, and I'm going to throw some assumptions out there too, so don't get butthurt if I say something offensive, just correct me on it and we'll go forward. On the otherhand, if you choose to get butthurt, well then you can try some Preperation H or go see your Dr for something that treats irritable bowel syndrome and you're all fixed up good as new again.

I assume you haven't had alot of experience working on vehicles. I assume like many of us, you don't have a ton of cash laying around to do all that you wish all in one quick sweep. I'll assume you actually don't know alot of the history on this truck or how it's going to run down the highway or whatelse might be wrong or if the thing will even stop very good or for very long.

So here's what you can do, PROVIDED WE GET THIS CURRENT ISSUE found and fixed. Don't give up on your Vortec head, intake and cam swap just cuz it's a Wee O Five. That motor might be in great shape internally, not smoke or burn oil and have good compression. So go ahead and do your Vortec head, intake and cam swap on the thing and get a little experience doing the swap. As funds and experience permit, get the other criticals done like suspension work if needed, as in ball joints, and tie rods. Get your driveshaft in good shape with new U joints and carrier bearing if it has one and needed. Do all that as money permits. Keeping your eye out for a cheap good shape 350 or rebuildable core 350. Then you can swap your Vortec Heads, Intake and Cam to the 350 block since they interchange. All you will have wasted was the cost of the head gasket set.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm rubbing my preperation h on as we speak haaa. You are right on sir needs all of the above ball joints u joints front left bearing little play and no I don't have any cash. We r on the same page sir only reason I would do that is because they r swap able so right on point. What's these guys saying about the top of my in your words dizzy coil or something is that something to dig into? Hey when I first start it sounds like it has a cam :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm rubbing my preperation h on as we speak haaa. You are right on sir needs all of the above ball joints u joints front left bearing little play and no I don't have any cash. We r on the same page sir only reason I would do that is because they r swap able so right on point. What's these guys saying about the top of my in your words dizzy coil or something is that something to dig into? Hey when I first start it sounds like it has a cam :)

The choke being on and running rich can do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04