Softopper - I've been waiting for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know that someone is going to come along and tell me how this thread sux BC there aren't enough pictures, it's been super rainy, we have had floods and landslides to deal with and taking photos outside just doesn't sound like fun right now. So I'll tell you my experiences with it in the first week.

Versatility is second to none I would think and I'm definitely convinced of that after today. Most of the feed on the farm is bought in bulk, and mixed or blended to what we want to feed right here, but some of the specialty feed, like the high protein food and chick feed we buy in bags, so members only sale at the co-op today went down there to fill 8 propane tanks, buy 20 bags of various bagged feed, and filled 8 gas cans. So gas cans went behind the driver in the bed, propane tanks behind the passenger in the bed and the feed bags in the back from about the axle to the tailgate. I was able to get the 5 gallon cans in and out from the front D/S just by unsnapping the side, propane tanks I did the same way and the feed bags though the back. It was easy to use, gave me zero trouble I didn't have to crawl on my knees through the bed! I was planning to retract the top, for loading, but it wasn't nessissary and was raining to hard my feed sacks would have been soaked in no time!

Water tightness: The material seems 100%, the bedrails seem 100%. The holes drilled in the bed rails leak a surprising amount of water in, that's not the fault of the softopper and when we dry out enough I'll either put foil mastic tape over them, or fill them in with plugs, or something. But it's got to wait until it dries out or nothing will stick. The front corners where the softopper transitions to the front flaps seems to seep some when I'm driving and yes I moved the softopper forward so that the bars rest on the bed properly when retracted, so I'll want to do something there. Maybe just as simple as a bead of RTV or silicone not to actually stick anything down, but to create a channel or barrier for the water to hit and run outside. I want to get that stuff taken care of and then we'll see if I want seals on the tailgate. My one and only concern about that is I don't want to wreck those seals when I haul materials in the bed, like gravel or manure. I guess it just depends on how much comes in from that point. From what I can see so far it seems like the drill holes are by far and away my worst leak.

When the weather clears up, I'll take some photos for you to see.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The new "day" starts at 12 AM @bucketGOOD enough for me!!
Well if that's how we count it then I drink in the morning a couple days a week, including this morning I had a nightcap about 12:30am!!!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well we got a little break in the weather today. At the end of the driveway to the farm we put up a couple things for small Christmas display so I figured I'd get it done. One problem, a couple of things are oversized, nope not a problem put the softopper down!

First fold the sides up:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then retract the top:

I can't image that it took more than about 1 1/2 minutes to fold it down, seriously it's that quick and simple.

And then back up:

Back up wasn't quite as easy as it seems like the material contracted quite a bit in the 2 hours it was folded down for. I probably spent 5 minutes getting it back up, but I'd image there is a slight learning curve. The main issue is getting the end snapped, I'll get one end, but then the other requires some tugging. I'd image that's just how it is, it's got to be tight after all.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here are the holes in the bed rail. Someone before my friend had it must have had a shell on it at some point. I didn't drill any new holes for the bedrail I just used the existing ones, but it does seem like there was some rust going on there.
This one is up by the cab. A plug isn't going to work in that, as someone drilled it all wonky.

These two are mid-way:

For now this should seal them up.

I don't exactly like the look, but if it keeps the water out then that's fine for now.

Come this summer I'm almost tempted to pull the softopper rails off, fill those holes with weld, grind them down and paint the top of the rail black.

The other thing I might do is wait for a dry stretch, put tape under the holes and then fill them with RTV. If I did that they should stay water tight, but the holes would be reusable if I decided to put the bedrails back on. I kind of have my doubts that I'll put them back on like for the summer, but I'd like to have the option open. Either way eventually I need to treat that little bit of rust and seal the holes up.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What? No pics of the "freight" @SirRobyn0
Always somebody belly achin' about pics! LOL. No sorry I didn't think to. It's just a couple artificial 6' trees with lights already on them, not really all that exciting.

But it looks like I need to haul grain next weekend so this will be real good test for the softopper. My hope is that I can retract the softopper, load up and then put the softopper in the covered mode and not have to worry about trying to tarp the barrels, or having a bunch of the stuff on top departing in the wind.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Now wait a sec.... @idahovette @DoubleDingo I posted 6 pics! Just not the "freight" oops.... Will you guys ever forgive me?

I got a feed haul coming up either this coming weekend or next I promise pics of that "freight" and I'll let you all know how the softopper does with the 55 gallon drums!

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
(sorry, I had to...)

Glad it's working out well for you. Sounds like a good plan on sealing it up, all good info should I ever pick one up (for a future truck with a bed).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag