so my old man's gettin' a van.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I started tearing this thing down to pull the trans today.

Had a few leads, no panned out, looked at one today and was the wrong one, it was a 4 spd. one for a v6 most likely.

My old man found one tho with a 6 mo. warranty about 45 minutes from here, it's used and he's gonna try and get it next month or so, has to have his old one for a core.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
tore more apart on it tonight, dipstick, some plugins, cooler lines, starter etc.

Next up is get it moved back in the yard more and jack it up, scotch and block it up good and get under it as well as remove the DS axle and such.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sounds fun, lol. Keep at it bro!! :)

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
trans is out and in the back of the van, took maybe 2 hrs to do it.

I know tons say this is a bad job and a big job. I think not.

The biggest job I had was trying to figure a way to remove the TC bolts, trying to find an inspection cover, it was covered in crud and looked like part of the van's motor. After working on another bolt it fell off, and I was like OOOHHHH there you are LOL.

Then that said bolt I had forget to finish removing so it snagged us on the drop, but once it was out it dropped down perfectly.

We popped off both wheels, calipers, rotors, axle cotter pins, nuts, removed box axles, drained the trans via the pan, removed the bellhousing bolts and the vss plugin and that was about it.

My old man is going to get the other trans next month hopefully. A place Curt (crazy4offroad) told me about has one it's about an hour from us but comes with a 6 mo. warranty. Nobody local has anything.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Which place? Daaco or Aamoco? Or one of the junk yards? There's another transmission place here on the west side but they are expensive, but they were the only people who would take on rebuilding a Camry trans.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Probably me since I'm about 2,000 miles closer :lol:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Ahhh ok, but I agree with Chris, only thing local in Logan is trees!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it was Curt, pretty sure, think it's auto parts outlet or something. I'm thinking retro told me the same on FB as well.

They are over in south charleston, it's listed as nitro but he said they are right in south charleston, like 50 mins from me or something.

It's not a rebuilt deal it's just a used one.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They're on the Nitro side (north side of the Kanawha river) of the St. Albans bridge. If you cross the bridge you'll turn right then go a couple hundred yards and they're on the right. If you come from Institute exit and ride up Rt 25 it's on your left just before the bridge. They are on some parts finder network, they got me a steering column for my S10 Blazer when some ******* tried to steal it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They're on the Nitro side (north side of the Kanawha river) of the St. Albans bridge. If you cross the bridge you'll turn right then go a couple hundred yards and they're on the right. If you come from Institute exit and ride up Rt 25 it's on your left just before the bridge. They are on some parts finder network, they got me a steering column for my S10 Blazer when some ******* tried to steal it.

I've passed through there oodles of times and never knew I could have went junkyarding. Do they let you go back and pull the stuff yourself?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea we'd be coming thru 119 into davis creek rd or exit whatever it is. They were the only ones to have them.

That guy who posts the ads in your local area there Curt, names is Oakie, and he went to look to see if he had one, called, left a message to call, I returned the call, he never called back. I tried the other day and his cell phone is out of service now. May call the original number you gave me before he goes and buys one, might get one cheaper who knows. He likes the warranty though. The one from sissonville had one too $50 cheaper and only 4 mo. warranty.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I'd be leery of the Sissonville junk yard parts, some stuff is OK but I would be more confident in the Auto Parts Outlet place. And I'd tell your dad once that sonofabitch is movin under it's own power, sell it quick! Get something that isn't such a bastard as far as parts goes.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
we went almost halfway to Curt's place today and laid down some coin for deposit on the trans, they have to order it in from KY and get it for him, said they'd have to get a deposit in order to order it, and nobody could buy it out from under him, so we made the trip over, almost h 100 miles round trip, hoping to go over next week and pick it up and install it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe