So Does Everyone HATE This Steering Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I vote for the stock steering wheel.
If it gets sticky, I wear gloves. It only gets sticky when it's been sitting in 100+ degree heat and sun for a couple weeks, not sticky in the winter. Maybe that's why they make steering wheel covers.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Since this post has arrived back up, I like the stock wheel too.

A old school lace on steering wheel cover will resolve that problem of a sticky wheel. My wheel is not sticky and never has been so i guess i am lucky.

Yes, real leather is best! When it wears out, lace on another.

You must be registered for see images attach

I held onto this wheel for a lot of miles. Yes the leather finally shrunk enough to split the seam stitching. Ready for the third cover now.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I'm probably a bit weird, but I actually prefer large diameter, thin-rimmed steering wheels. I have the stock 16" wheel in mine (the extra dee-luxe one with the smaller horn button), and it just feels "right"... meaning being able to maneuver in parking lots and tight spaces with one finger if I want. My sh¡t isn't getting sticky, by my horn button's got a big ass crack, so I might have to dig another one up at some point.

Was going to switch to a GMT400 steering wheel at one time, but never got around to it. I don't need the extra clearance, though the tilt column puts the bottom of the wheel an inch and a half from the seat cushion at its lowest position, which is a kind of odd.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I changed up my steering wheel when I rebuilt the truck because the trucks theme is NASCAR and Aircraft. So I wanted the kind of wheel the NASCAR drivers use, and the way the wheel I have on there now, it's a Grant, sits up close to me like the NASCAR drivers have theirs. I think it's the same design. The reason being is with your arms up closer to your chest there is much less arm fatigue because you aren't holding your arms up out in front of you to hold onto the wheel. Even a little makes a difference. The wheel is thick to which is good for gripping the wheel in hard turns like I do if I'm running late for one of my doctors appointments. It's more like road racing, ripping through neighborhoods zig zagging to get there in time. If it's a 25mph zone, I'm doing 50 in short spurts though, and then turn hard onto another street, then hit the gas. And since my arm nerves are so messed up I can't even hold onto an electric shaver longer than a couple of minutes, so the steering wheel up close helps me a lot.
I'm the opposite... off road rally technique were you can just about lock your elbow. I change to flat steering wheels just to get it father away.
I can't do anything when the wheel is in my chest.
Ken Block mentions this in one of his recent vids. He has a new rally car and a thousand hp trophy truck to play with these days.

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
I did something I haven't seen before on the original wheel. It had the wood grain trim but is was dirty and worn so I stripped it and sanded it to a light polish and matched the horn trim

I hate the non tilt column, damn thing sticks out too far!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azdivr