Smoke troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElPatron

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the smoke is pure white after motor running for 10 plus minutes then the trans vac modulator is bad. When the diaphragm goes bad the motor sucks the fluid up and into the motor and burns it .. hence the chalk white smoke. It will smoke as long as the motor is running.. Check the trans fluid...
After pulling all my hair out I've finally narrowed down my smoke gremlin to the vac modulator. I have a 78 K10 with a TH350. What I thought would be an easy 5 min fix doesn't appear to be. The transfer case and transmission support is in the way to get to the modulator. What's the best way to get to this without dropping the transmission?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
After pulling all my hair out I've finally narrowed down my smoke gremlin to the vac modulator. I have a 78 K10 with a TH350. What I thought would be an easy 5 min fix doesn't appear to be. The transfer case and transmission support is in the way to get to the modulator. What's the best way to get to this without dropping the transmission?
Pics, we needs pics.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Chit lol when i picked up my truck it smoked good for the first 50 miles of the 260 mile journey.

Oil was good when i changed it, it smokes a bit still upon start up but clears up after a few.