slow acceleration low vaccuum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
ok so i recently put on a new pair of longtube headers and I disconnected the o2 sensor (i have a air/fuel ration gauge idk if the sensor is only for the gauge) and never put it back into the new headers(no bung for it). I was driving the truck to school and noticed the truck was getting jumpy while set on cruise control, looked down at my vac gauge and it was at 0 then the SES light came on as a code 32. I replaced the egr valve and it seems to run a tad bit better but my vac gauge is till low while under acceleration and doesnt seem to be as "responsive" as before. vaccuum is around 22 at idle. I have checked for vaccuum leaks and have found non. Any Ideas guys?

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Specs on the truck...

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
the tbi system is very picky and every thing has to be perfect i would install the 02 sensor into the new headers but then again im not an expert maybe some one else has information that can help you

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
MIght tune it a lil better now that you have the headers on it. IS the o2 just for the air/fuel gauge of was it a factory one for the OBDI computer?

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
thats one of my problems idk if it is to just the gauge or to both of em

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
it might be for both since it is tbi and they are OBDI controlled

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Running TBI without a O2 sensor is begging the gremlins to invade.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ther is no "Fuel/Ration gauge" on factory TBI.
You can not run TBI without the O2 sensor.
since you have long tube headers, you will need an 02 sensor from a 94-94 1/2 ton truck, and it must be a 3 wire sensor, and get the pigtail for it also. an exhaust shop will have to install an o2 sensor bung in the crvers side collector, and you will need to wire up the new sensor to keyed power, and ground.
Here isna good read on the wiring:http://sethirdgen.org/HO2S.htm

The heated sensor is needed because it has been moved farther away from the engine. A regular 1 wire sensor will cool off too much, causing the ECM to keep going into open loop, which wastes fuel, and effects power.
You should be good to go after that.
Also, this MAY clear up your code 32. the ecm also uses the o2 sensor to confirm a change in air/fuel ratio, to confirm commanded EGR operation, and for AIR injection, if so equipped. Get your o2 sensor squared away, and then we can see if that clears the egr code as well.
If you have your emissions sticker on the radiator support, post up a close up pic so we can read it, and see what type of egr you have.
What does the rest of your exhaust system consist of.....Pipe size, muffler(s)?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
They make collectors with the bung installed already also right Jim? :wave:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ther is no "Fuel/Ration gauge" on factory TBI.
You can not run TBI without the O2 sensor.
since you have long tube headers, you will need an 02 sensor from a 94-94 1/2 ton truck, and it must be a 3 wire sensor, and get the pigtail for it also. an exhaust shop will have to install an o2 sensor bung in the crvers side collector, and you will need to wire up the new sensor to keyed power, and ground.
Here isna good read on the wiring:http://sethirdgen.org/HO2S.htm

The heated sensor is needed because it has been moved farther away from the engine. A regular 1 wire sensor will cool off too much, causing the ECM to keep going into open loop, which wastes fuel, and effects power.
You should be good to go after that.
Also, this MAY clear up your code 32. the ecm also uses the o2 sensor to confirm a change in air/fuel ratio, to confirm commanded EGR operation, and for AIR injection, if so equipped. Get your o2 sensor squared away, and then we can see if that clears the egr code as well.
If you have your emissions sticker on the radiator support, post up a close up pic so we can read it, and see what type of egr you have.
What does the rest of your exhaust system consist of.....Pipe size, muffler(s)?

They make collectors with the bung installed already also right Jim? :wave:

yeah, but if he is already running the headers, it would be more cost effective to have the 1/2" hole drilled, and the bung welded in.
I personally prefer o2 sensors istalled before the collector haskets....I is just "Monk" that way.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
I have 3inch exhaust with a single flowmaster 50 series with a cat.
the PO did install a A/F ratio gauge thats why i wasnt sure what the o2 was for.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

the yellow wire goes into the cab and to the A/F ratio gauge. the o2 sensor was connected to the white plastic cap on the black wire but was torn off.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

the yellow wire goes into the cab and to the A/F ratio gauge. the o2 sensor was connected to the white plastic cap on the black wire but was torn off.

Ok, you dont have a backpressure egr, you should be ok there. The wire that the O2 sensor from the ecm should be purple, and it should exit the harness around the back of the distributor somewhere.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
yea it is and thats exactly where the other plug end is at . Is installing a heated o2 sensor going to make that big of a difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69