single stage pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
never had a problem with it, buff it once and forget it, lays out nice, less room for errors, with bc/cc you can mess up the base, then mess up the clear or both, with single stage if you get it right it's right. once done you're done, you don't have to go back and clear it.

ONLY reason I'd use bc/cc is due to metallics or pearls etc. but solid color, single stage all the way.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What about mixing the single stage vs the bc/cc? Which is easier?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't be afraid to spray it yourself. I watched a guy one time and he taught me the art of spray painting is in the wrist to keep the gun the same distance from the project at all times. So you have to almost have a gay wrist as he put it. Do not wave your arm as you go, so then you are far away, then close, then far away again. So bend your wrist at each end when go to and coming back from a pass. He said I was a natural at it and did perfect my first time, and that was enough to give me the confidence I needed and I do just fine. Here is where I get hung up, and you're doing it right now by asking, is what to mix and how, and what settings to use on the gun, and what pressure to use. If I can get the mix, tip setting, and pressure right, I can paint great. But I don't know all I need to know about mixing etc. Different paints and procedures require different preperation so that's where I have to do mega homework. Just saying, don't be afraid of spraying, just do your homework like you're doing and you'll do just fine. I do like the idea of wet sanding your mistakes away between coats, but that's just me. So I guess I'd want to do 2 stage then.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The guy/gal at the paint shop in Carquest said that most of restorers are using the 2 stage over the single stage in my area.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You dont have to mix **** with base coat clear coat. I mixed my paint but its only because my buddy had the paint system consisting of an entire wall of different paint ingredients, when you buy the paint it comes mixed up.

The only thing you mix is your reducer, they will tell you how much reducer to add to the paint. They sell a few different reducers depending on your humidity and temperature.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
All the stuff I've painted has usually been single stage

I've done the grill(needs a redo) and rear bumper on my Z71 with some metallic single stage and they've come out great.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You dont have to mix **** with base coat clear coat. I mixed my paint but its only because my buddy had the paint system consisting of an entire wall of different paint ingredients, when you buy the paint it comes mixed up.

The only thing you mix is your reducer, they will tell you how much reducer to add to the paint. They sell a few different reducers depending on your humidity and temperature.

I've also seen thinner added to paint too, to make sure it flowed thru the gun tip smooth without making dribbles at the tip. But that is what I am reffering to as mixing. I've also heard of adding hardner to paint.

My step bro owned a Rachero that was previously owned by Robert Blake. That car had a hell of paint job on it. My step bro hit a snow embankment once and broke out a piece of the paint. It was a little thicker than a business card, about as big as a softball. No ****, he actually glued that piece of paint back into the space it came out of. If you looked close, you could see the hairline where the paint was put back in. Strangest damn thing I'd ever seen. I'm wanting to say it was a 74 Ranchero, with a Rolls Royce front grill on it, painted Maroon with gold pinstripe, and a red vinyl top, that the vinyl ran a strip all the way down the side to the tailgate. Had a 429 motor in it. That car hauled ass pretty damn good. He sold it to my other step bro eventually and I don't know what my other step bro did with the car, but it was bad ass. I liked that FORD.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Reducer is what thins the paint out, straight out of the can the paint is thick. For about a quarter a piece auto body suppliers sell plastic mixing cups with markings designed specifically for adding reducer. The paint will come with instructions like "1 part reducer, 2 parts paint". After reducing the paint its ready to go into the gun and on the car, adjusting the fan and all that **** is easy. You just play with it to figure out the best spray pattern.

I am trying to remember what the hardener went in, I am pretty sure thats exclusive to the lacquer enamel single stage paint. For some reason I seem to remember clear coat requiring a hardener mixed in but I cant remember.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I usually do 4-5 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 1 part hardener

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thanks guys, i may go base clear again just nervous

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I usually do 4-5 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 1 part hardener

Yeah, see that's the **** I'm talking about. Getting it right is important.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You lost me on that? Too many parts for liquid chemical.

If the paint calls for 4 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 1 part hardener than you would grab your cup with the markings on the side and pour paint all the way to the 4th line. Then you would go up to the next line with reducer and once again to the next line with the hardener.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If the paint calls for 4 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 1 part hardener than you would grab your cup with the markings on the side and pour paint all the way to the 4th line. Then you would go up to the next line with reducer and once again to the next line with the hardener.

Making a little more sense to me now. Is there a special paint measuring cup or can you use your mom's measuring cups from the kitchen? Do you have to clean the cup in between the paint, reducer, hardner?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW