Single Fill Dual tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I currently have the passenger tank on a dual system. The valve and drivers side tank is not there as well as the straps. The sending unit is also bad.

Whats your thoughts on configuring it so that I can fill both tanks from the same side and have an equilizing line at the bottom of them. I see a problem with parking on hills and the fuel running over to the tank that doesn't have the pickup in it so I thought about having 2 lines between the tanks. One being higher than the other, and the lower one having a check valve with flow in the direction of the pickup tank.

That way if it is parked on a hill, only so much will drain back to the other tank and allow you to start it up. Once you get back to level ground, it will balance out....for the most part, if you see what I mean.

picture.php

To do this I would need:

-sending unit (replace current bad one)
-tank w/straps/mounts
-tubing to connect both fill ports
-tubing to connect both vents
-take both tanks to radiator shop for fittings to be welded in

Thoughts? It seems this would be cheaper than buying another tank w/straps, 2 sending units, the selector valve, and the connector that plugs into it (previous owner let it sit on the exhaust...toasty).

Last edited:

Graystone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Problem is with the connection between will fill with fuel or the gas pump will shut off before it allows the other tank to fill up.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Are you trying to use two passenger tanks? I think I am missing the question.

As far as filling both tanks from the same side, that can be done. If anyone remembers the Winchester editions. I am not sure if they were only offered out west or country wide. I have had two of them. One '79& one '80. The '79 had a tube and filler necks that connected both tanks. You could fill both tanks from either side of the truck. You still had the tank selector switch to switch tanks as they still drew from one tank at a time.

Also. Good luck on finding someone to weld on fuel tanks. Takes one hell of a lot of dry ice.

Last edited:

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Are you trying to use two passenger tanks? I think I am missing the question.

As far as filling both tanks from the same side, that can be done. If anyone remembers the Winchester editions. I am not sure if they were only offered out west or country wide. I have had two of them. One '79& one '80. The '79 had a tube and filler necks that connected both tanks. You could fill both tanks from either side of the truck. You still had the tank selector switch to switch tanks as they still drew from one tank at a time.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
this subject interests me, as I would like to run dual tanks, but not a fan of filling one tank and then having to turn around to fill the other. imho, gm missed the mark with that design. hope someone on here chimes in with a feasible plan for this. :favorites13:

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've thought of trying something like this, but honestly, it seems like more trouble than it's worth for me...

For the bottom equalizer line you'd have to put some sort of guard under it so that you don't have the chance of snagging it on something and draining both tanks on the ground. The other lines you would have to put through the frame unless you have a body lift with enough room to put them on top of the frame.

The other consideration is if you ever have to remove a tank for whatever reason, you pretty much have to empty both tanks. In the stock configuration, you can R&R each tank separately without emptying them. It's a pain, but possible.

Just a few things to ponder if you go through with it. :)

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
The other consideration is if you ever have to remove a tank for whatever reason, you pretty much have to empty both tanks. In the stock configuration, you can R&R each tank separately without emptying them. It's a pain, but possible.

Just a few things to ponder if you go through with it. :)

Easy fix, Just plumb in a shut off valve on either side. You don't have to completely reinvent the wheel here, commercial trucks have been doing this for decades. They just don't have the single side fill.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
GM already offered the solution. It is a straight tube which runs between the frame and the bed. the fill tubes were connected to the tanks by a t connection. Much like the drawing in the original post, the green line but with factory fill tubes on both sides of the bed. If you were on the left side of the truck it would flow into the left tank until it was full. If you wanted to fill the right just keep pumping as it would flow across to the right. You didn't have to turn your truck around. Both tanks still draw separate from each other.

Check into the "Winchester Edition" trucks. I have this set up up my '85. Works great.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
GM already offered the solution. It is a straight tube which runs between the frame and the bed. the fill tubes were connected to the tanks by a t connection. Much like the drawing in the original post, the green line but with factory fill tubes on both sides of the bed. If you were on the left side of the truck it would flow into the left tank until it was full. If you wanted to fill the right just keep pumping as it would flow across to the right. You didn't have to turn your truck around. Both tanks still draw separate from each other.

Check into the "Winchester Edition" trucks. I have this set up up my '85. Works great.

I've been trying to read on the Winchester Edition trucks. Can't find a whole lot about it. So far it was not done by GM, but Winchester Truck company out of Ritzville WA. They used to take old squares and restore them in the 80s and 90s.

My dad would love to have single fill when he is towing his trailer. Nothing worse then pulling in to a gas station, filling one side, driving around then filling the other side.

oldtractors

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I added a tank, selector, and switch to my 74. I tee'd the filler together and by directing the flow from the gas filler, I could fill both tanks from one side. It worked, but not perfectly. My 90 R3500 had two tanks, and I preferred to find gas stations that had two rows of pumps. If you drove right down the middle, you could fill both tanks at the same time. Yes, I was the guy who blocked two rows of pumps when filling my truck.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size

GM did not offer the solution, someone added it after the fact if that is how your tanks are plumbed. Nothing I've ever seen in any GM literature regarding this option, and I've seen this question pop up at least a dozen times over the last 15 years.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I only have two complete set ups. Both off of 1980 trucks. Both with the "Winchester" trim package. One from Wyoming, the other from Colorado. They were also GMC not Chevy. I only buy GMC for a few reasons. I know, they are the same, but are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68