Shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liteumup387

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys, i recently gought a 1983 gmc high serria, the truck was lifted 4" with a tuff country EZ ride lift kit and a leaf was added to to the rear so over all the rear was lifted around 5".

Im going to be replacing the shocks in a week or so. I really want to install bilstine 5100 shocks because ive heard nothing but good things about them.

But i have heard that even when the recommended shocks are installed for a certain make and model with a certain lift the shocks tend to be a little short.

Has anyone had any experience with these shocks? Is this true? Can anyone recommend what length shocks i should look into buying, the ones recommended for a 3 to 4" lift or should i but the ones that are recommended for a 6" lift? :shrug:

Any input will be highly appreciated
Thanks,
John

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Hey guys, i recently gought a 1983 gmc high serria, the truck was lifted 4" with a tuff country EZ ride lift kit and a leaf was added to to the rear so over all the rear was lifted around 5".

Im going to be replacing the shocks in a week or so. I really want to install bilstine 5100 shocks because ive heard nothing but good things about them.

But i have heard that even when the recommended shocks are installed for a certain make and model with a certain lift the shocks tend to be a little short.

Has anyone had any experience with these shocks? Is this true? Can anyone recommend what length shocks i should look into buying, the ones recommended for a 3 to 4" lift or should i but the ones that are recommended for a 6" lift? :shrug:

Any input will be highly appreciated
Thanks,
John

i have a 2 inch lift and got these shocks. they honestly are EXTREMELY tough. i didnt have a proper bumpstop configuration for a time and the shock served as the bumpstop. no damage whatsoever and i did some serious wheeling. the fronts actually are a tad long so id go with what they say for the font. the rear never compresses all the way. i put a zip tie on mine to see how far they compress and only half the shock was ever used. so with a 5 inch lift 6 inch shocks would be good in the back. id measure it myself but id do 4" in the front and 6" in the back. honestly 2 would work front too cuz i have 3 inches of uptravel with the shocks and a TON of droop.

Liteumup387

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Awesome man thanks for the input, thats probly what ill do :)

How do like the ride quality the shocks provide?

Im really hoping that these shocks will smoothn out the ride a little, rite now i have tuff country sx8000 shocks on it and the ride is a little harsh. My shocks are looking pretty old and so im sure anything will be an improvment.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When you order shocks you need to give the fully extended length and a fully compressed length. I would go into a local shop and ask how to get proper measurements. The 5100s are great but I really like the 5150s. You will most likely get a better ride quality out of the 5150s over the 5100s if the shocks are the correct size.

:imo:

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
When you order shocks you need to give the fully extended length and a fully compressed length. I would go into a local shop and ask how to get proper measurements. The 5100s are great but I really like the 5150s. You will most likely get a better ride quality out of the 5150s over the 5100s if the shocks are the correct size.

:imo:

I've always heard the 5150s just have a resivour to prevent shock fade at high speeds. One thing is you can choose the shock valving though. But for regular wheeling and with the same valving there should be no difference. they do look good but they are too expensive IMO. The benefits are usually seen in high speed stuff ie 70 mph. But I seriously think 6 inch rear and 4 front would work, just double check the posted lengths yourself. The shocks ride good but my lift is an add a leaf so it's harsher. It's fine for me and mine is a dd. if your leaf pack has a lot of leaves that will affect the ride a lot

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
5100's are just hydros, like RC's $30 hydros but a nicer brand, shinier monotube and probably better valving. The 5150s are high-pressure nitrogen charged, which prevents hydraulic fluid from foaming when the shocks get hot. The remote reservoir is also a way to help keep the hydraulic fluid cool, and give a little more compression travel. I agree with Andrew though, they're nice, and look good, but for my next shocks a set of RC or Skyjacker nitro's would work just as good for me for a lot less money.

Liteumup387

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Just to make sure i dont order the wrong shocks i am going to take a front and rear shock off and measure it. Do you guys think that the bilstines are worth the money? The truck is mostly driven on paved roads with a mix of city and highway driving, and occasionally me and a couple friends go muddin, nothing crazy. I really am more concerned about daily driving comfort. Is there a good alternative to the bilstines that isnt going to cost 80-100 dollars per shock

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
right off the top of my head.....

rancho 5001 for 2-4 inch lift and 5130's for 6 inch lift..

ya would have to look up the back ones....

rockauto has the cheapest prices i can find for ranchos..... good shocks.......

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
5100's are just hydros, like RC's $30 hydros but a nicer brand, shinier monotube and probably better valving. The 5150s are high-pressure nitrogen charged, which prevents hydraulic fluid from foaming when the shocks get hot. The remote reservoir is also a way to help keep the hydraulic fluid cool, and give a little more compression travel. I agree with Andrew though, they're nice, and look good, but for my next shocks a set of RC or Skyjacker nitro's would work just as good for me for a lot less money.

The 5100 and 5150 both say they are gas ( which I assume means nitrogen ) They are expensive tho.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Aren't the new Rancho monotubes comparable to the 5150's? On sale at 4WP too, buy 3 get one free.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Aren't the new Rancho monotubes comparable to the 5150's? On sale at 4WP too, buy 3 get one free.

The 5150s have an external resivuor. The main question I have between the ranchos/ other shocks and bilstein is how tough they are.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350

The 5150s have an external resivuor. The main question I have between the ranchos/ other shocks and bilstein is how tough they are.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
The main question I have between the ranchos/ other shocks and bilstein is how tough they are.

How tuff do you need them to be? If you want tuff then go King, but otherwise most commercialy available shocks, of equal valving are tough enough for 90% of us out there.

You cant go wrong with the 5100's, but how much more are you willing to spend? If you spend 2X as much on a shock you're not necessarily getting
2X the shock.

Ive got dual RS9000's on my K5. I will be going to long travel shocks here shortly and more then likely will stay with Rancho RS9000 series.

No offense, your truck doesnt look like its going to be seeing too much dirt, or at least not enough to warrant $90 shocks on each corner, imho. I think you will be happy with a mid line shock and have a few $$ left over. Rancho-Pro Comp-Tuff Country.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
How tuff do you need them to be? If you want tuff then go King, but otherwise most commercialy available shocks, of equal valving are tough enough for 90% of us out there.

You cant go wrong with the 5100's, but how much more are you willing to spend? If you spend 2X as much on a shock you're not necessarily getting
2X the shock.

Ive got dual RS9000's on my K5. I will be going to long travel shocks here shortly and more then likely will stay with Rancho RS9000 series.

No offense, your truck doesnt look like its going to be seeing too much dirt, or at least not enough to warrant $90 shocks on each corner, imho. I think you will be happy with a mid line shock and have a few $$ left over. Rancho-Pro Comp-Tuff Country.

Doesn't look like its gonna see dirt? I go just about every weekend. Mud pits, trails, rocks, hills etc. and sure plenty of people do crazier stuff. But my truck is no mall crawler. Absolutely I may have spent too much, and I'll likely get cheaper ones in the future. I'm just curious as to how they are different if they are at all

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d