Shock position??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
89 V2500 burb about 4 to 6 inch lift (exact lift unknown) with 35's,,,,with bilstein 5125's whats the correct way to run the shock?? Tube end up or down, I've heard tube end down rod end up,,,,I can run it that way in the front but on my rear 1 ton axle the tube end hits the axle tube and the angle wont line up with the upper mount. So the only way I can run it is with the tube end up in the rear??? Somehow doesn't look right to me. Im wondering if the rear shocks don't line up cuz of the lift????:Insane:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
When I bought mine from ORD they said it did not matter which way they were mounted.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
89 V2500 burb about 4 to 6 inch lift (exact lift unknown) with 35's,,,,with bilstein 5125's whats the correct way to run the shock?? Tube end up or down, I've heard tube end down rod end up,,,,I can run it that way in the front but on my rear 1 ton axle the tube end hits the axle tube and the angle wont line up with the upper mount. So the only way I can run it is with the tube end up in the rear??? Somehow doesn't look right to me. Im wondering if the rear shocks don't line up cuz of the lift????:Insane:

How was your lift done on the rear? Blocks or shackle flip? I'm asking because I found this on the ORD website on the description of the 5125's on a 1 ton:

Shocks for '76-87 (Up to '91 For Crew Cab and Cab & Chassis) 1 Ton Chevy Trucks

1 ton rear axles use 9/16" bolts through the shocks on the axle side, these are unique to the 1 tons and not supported by the aftermarket. You can:

Weld a 1/2" washer on each side of your shock brackets

Drill the bracket out to 5/8" and delete the sleeve in the shock, use a 5/8" bolt

Replace the shock mounts with our shock tabs. If you choose to replace the shock mounts, use the shock lengths for a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck so that the shocks don't hang too far below the axle.

When using a shackle flip on a 1 ton rear axle, it's common for the shock tabs to need to be relocated higher up on the axle tube as the shock body can contact the axle tube. It's also a good time to consider our shock tabs as they use the more common 1/2" bolt size

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
Right on thanks for the info,,,,I have blocks but now im sure to do it right im gonna need to relocate the tabs on the axle because that's exactly whats happening,,,shock tube hitting the axle tube,,,,,I like the idea of using the shorter shock lengths for more clearance,,,you guys are awesome on this site thanks again.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef