Shaking while med-hard braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have had rotors with "hard spots" that didn't wear like the rest of the rotor and had to be replaced, calipers that wouldn't maintain constant pressure, etc.

A good front end shop will be able to diagnose it. Fortunately for me, my brother has his own business doing this for 40+ years. Dealers actually bring their clients vehicles to his shop.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I totally forgot to update this. But, I did take it to a local point s which looked it over Saturday. They did say that they believe the newer rear drums to have a high spot and need to be turned. But their normal guy wasent there and the one that was working "isn't very good at it" so I have another appointment this Thursday, hopefully they'll get it sorted out for me then.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I know it's your rear drums but, I bought some new rotors from auto zone that went to shaking again really fast. So I went to Napa and bought new ones that lasted till I got rid of it years later. 05 Dakota.

Guess Napa has better rotors. At least that's where I'm buying mine from now on.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
when buying rotors and drums ask for the country of origin. I will not use chinesium rotors and drums. I like the USA or Canadian ones first. if I can't find those I choose on a case by case basis. I have gotten good ones from Brazil.

make sure you ask and make it clear you don't want Chinese ones. the only way we are going to stop this junk from China is to make it known that we will not buy it.

highdesertranger

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
when buying rotors and drums ask for the country of origin. I will not use chinesium rotors and drums. I like the USA or Canadian ones first. if I can't find those I choose on a case by case basis. I have gotten good ones from Brazil.

make sure you ask and make it clear you don't want Chinese ones. the only way we are going to stop this junk from China is to make it known that we will not buy it.

highdesertranger

Spot on

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used to pick up brake calipers from Etowah Tenn. foundry and haul them to TRW for machining and assembly.Ford,GM and FCA used the same Chinesium metal for the brake castings for their trucks from that foundry.Buy american? Not so much in the last many many years.

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
This is when I would mount the Gopro under the truck to check suspension and loose items.
You can check the rear brake by pulling the brake release lever and pressing the parking brake. Just be careful and do it at a slow speed.
It really could almost be anything...I'm guessing it's less likely a brake issue as there is no pedal pulsation. It sounds like a loose suspension part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL