Shaking while med-hard braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello everyone,

I have another annoying issue with the k20 and Im hoping for some guidance on where to start looking for the problem.

While applying medium to hard braking I get a pretty severe shake. This shake gets worse when headed downhill. I do not feel the steering going side to side nor do I notice any pulsing in the brake pedal. It feels more as if the body of the truck Is bouncing up and down rather harshly. It also feels as though it's on the passenger side.

Not too long ago I replaced the rotors, pads, and front wheel bearings. At that same time, I also replaced the rear drums and shoes. More recently I've replaced all of the leaf spring bushings, sway bar bushings, and shocks and I've recently had an alignment.

The truck does have a 2" lift by the previous owner, blocks in the rear and springs in the front.

Where should I start looking? I'm really drawing a blank.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bad tie rod end will do that.
Could be sloppy ball joints
Just because a shop aligned it doesn’t mean they checked the tie rod ends either.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
If the pads and shoes aren't seated (burned in) properly, this can happen.
Exactly what I was thinking, I've got a 98 2500 and it acts different all the time but i know the rotors are warped. Sometimes you feel it in the pedal, sometimes the steering, sometimes the body. Every now and then some symptoms at the same time, never consistent though.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Exactly what I was thinking, I've got a 98 2500 and it acts different all the time but i know the rotors are warped. Sometimes you feel it in the pedal, sometimes the steering, sometimes the body. Every now and then some symptoms at the same time, never consistent though.

If rotors are warped they must be replaced. I don't give a fat frogs fanny who tells you that you just need to have them turned, IT WON'T WORK!

Once the metal warps it is 'set'. There's no turning back.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The question is and this is how I read it. Does the shaking stop once he releases the brakes? if so then yes rotors / pads. If it persists. I say steering/ loose suspension.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The question is and this is how I read it. Does the shaking stop once he releases the brakes? if so then yes rotors / pads. If it persists. I say steering/ loose suspension.

Yes the shaking stops with brakes released or when I feather the pedal. Which is how I've been driving it lately. I'll try and get a quick video of it happening tonight after work, there is a hill that it always happens.

Edit: I did a test on the way in this morning. While driving I held the e brake release and applied even pressure to the emergency brake. Whatever is causing this shake is definitely in the rear end somewhere. I guess I'll be pulling apart those drums this weekend.

Last edited:

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have heard of our of round brake drums.....

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Hopefully his new drums aren't made of chineseium.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have heard of our of round brake drums.....

It's possible that one of the new ones I put on had a high spot or something due to bad QC. Or I might have gotten something not put back together quite right.

Can you get the corona from chineseum metal???? Lol JK the ones I bought where a few years ago and from napa so.. maybe?

Here is the video I took. It sucks, but you can at least hear the rattling from the shake, I tried to get the brake pedal in there as well but didnt do so great.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
If you have an mag base and a dial indicator, you could actually see if they run out.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
looks like this

You must be registered for see images attach

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
New drums need turned before install in my experience.Rotors no.Ive bought new drums that were warped so bad that they would have to be turned to the max. diameter to get the warpage out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115