Shade-Tree Tranny Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A little trick for backyard or garage transmission r&r Take and old wooden door slide it under the truck so it is under the transmission with one end of the door behind each tire. Block the door up with bricks, blocks, whatever. Slide the transmission back and on to the door,pull the bricks out on one side,slide the transmission down the door and out. Same thing going back in but start with the door flat push the transmission to the middle then start blocking the door back up when it's high enough slide the transmission forward,easy peasy . Block all 4 corners of the door so you can use a scissor jack to r&r your blocks. Personally I ve found this to be easier by myself than 2 men and a floor jack especially in gravel or dirt. I actually use a big trailer ramp but I thought a wooden door would be easier for explanation.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I normally just use a piece of wood on my floor jack, along with a carefully placed strap. For the odd shaped things, I cut pieces of wood to form a cradle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@bucket I'm usually on dirt or gravel,thus my unorthodox method and my customized dirt and gravel creeper

Attachments

• 20230919_153705.jpg
    20230919_153705.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230919_153653.jpg
    20230919_153653.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 42

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket I'm usually on dirt or gravel,thus my unorthodox method and my customized dirt and gravel creeper

Before this place, I used to be on dirt, grass and gravel most of the time too. I would lay a sheet of plywood on the ground so the jack would roll on it and I'd be more comfortable too.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Joining late, but I'm a floor jack kind of guy as well.

I haven't had much luck with the scissor type transmission jacks because mine tends to veer off to one side or the other, dumping the transmission off when it's under the car. Plus I have to slide the trans under by itself and get it up onto the jack while under the car and the scissor type jack is just too tall.

I have also started using ratchet straps to form a sort of sling under the car. Hooking one end to each frame rail, I can get the trans up and loosely hanging and then come under with the floor jack to fine tune the install.

Also - a couple long bolts with the heads cut off and inserted into the bellhousing location of the engine can help line everything up going back together.

K

Naturally - there's a story here:

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
LOL! Thank you for asking!

It's a long story but I will try and be brief:

I knew I was in trouble when the car kept slowing and slowing each pass, and when I returned to the pit and it left a trail of fluid. A quick check revealed it to be trans fluid, and a visual inspection from underneath revealed the big crack in the bellhousing that you can see in the picture.

I was pretty dejected, because it was our series "World Finals" in Columbus. My buddy (and engine builder) Scott said "hey....why don't you just throw my spare trans in. It's a TH400, so it should work...".

[I kid you not. He always had that trans in the back of his truck (now my truck) riding around. Going out to lunch? That trans was back there. Helping you move? That trans was back there].

Knowing that these things always uncover some detail that ends up biting you in the (rear) end, I thought about it for a while. Finally, I said "Scott - is there any possible way this could not work?"

He said "How could it not work? It's a TH400, same as yours. Same length, same splines - everything's the same".

I said ok and we decided we would eat supper first and then tear into it.

So after eating I popped the car up in the air, and he and I had the trans out on the ground and the new trans installed in about 45 minutes. At that point it was time to slip the driveshaft back in and.....it wouldn't go. It was like the shaft was too long to clear the pinion flange on the rear axle. I couldn't get it pushed in far enough to get it to swing up into place. We horsed around jacking the car up and down, moving the rear axle up and down, even tried taking the bearing caps off the u joint - no luck.

So - now we're back where we started. I thought about it for a while and I said "you know, I have another shaft back at the house (in the Detroit area - about 5 hours away). It's a little shorter. I could call my wife, have her bring it - I could meet her halfway and we could visit and then I could bring it back from there".

So I did. I called my wife, walked her through finding this other drive shaft in the garage, and she drove down. We met in a rest area off I-75 in Bowling Green Ohio, had coffee, exchanged the driveshaft and each went back on our way. By the time I got back it was late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

Saturday morning I got up early, slipped the driveshaft in (with no problem) and topped off the fluids. I fired the car and drove it around a bit, even going down to the end of the track to do a little burnout and a part throttle blast. Everything seemed to be in order.

When the time came, I went up for my first practice run. Did the burnout, it seemed fine. Staged the car, the lights came down, I nailed the throttle and.....the car was a total dog. Just kind of motored out off the line. I shifted into second and it picked up; I shifted into third and WHOA NELLY the engine free revved and I got off the throttle right away. What the heck?! I tried it another time or two on the return road and the same thing happened.

I got back to the pit area and said "Scott, I think your trans is broke....it's got no high gear". He said "well, that can't be right. It's a fresh rebuild, and we dyno tested it before I brought it home" (and put it in the back of the truck so it could ride all over tarnation. The thing's got more miles on it than my GTO does).

We sat down and thought about it for a little while. Finally, I perked up and said "I know what the problem is..."

My car runs a "Full manual" valvebody, which means the car only shifts when you move the lever. If you put the shifter in 2nd, the car starts out in second. If you put the shifter in 3rd, the car starts out in third. Same with Scott's. But - my car runs the "standard" shift pattern (PRNDSL), Scott's car runs a "reverse" pattern (PRNLSD).

I had unwittingly started the car out in third gear, shifted to second, and then to first.

The burnout was ok because I always do the burnout in second gear.

I figured well, that's ok. I can just move my shifter intentionally in the wrong direction and still drive the car. I just thought it was funny because we so thought we had psyched every angle out.

In the end, it was a moot point. While waiting between rounds I decided to change the engine oil. After draining it I noticed it was full of bearing material and metal shavings, so I quit at that point (a man's got to know his limitations). Subsequent investigation revealed a spun rear main bearing and damaged block, which resulted in an entirely new engine, which is another story for another day, and probably about three motors and four or five transmissions ago.

K

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I broke the rear end in Columbus one year, too.

I noted that I had parked in that same pit spot during both of those events and my buddy replied: "I think I'd park in a different pit spot".

At least it wasn't raining when we did the trans.

K

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I bought that that plate with the intentions of bolting it to a floor jacknwhen I need it and using 4 l brackets and 2 chains to hold the transmission. But I've gotten too lazy. My door method works good. Actually the door method is kind of a modification of what we did at 2 different shops I worked at,both were large sturdy tables on rollers just before the finishing touches on pulling a transmission with a transfer case you roll the table under lower the lift down set the transmission/transfer case down as 1 unit on the table the lift the truck Back up did the same thing pulling Porsche 914 engines and transmissions as a unit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-20_174003.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-20_174003.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why are you removing the transmission? My 75 k was disassembled when I got it I installed the transmission first then the transfer case. I'm giving you that little tid bit in case you were thinking they had to come in and out as an assembly. Some stupid Nissan I worked on was that way,was a total PITA. Seems like I did one other truck that was that way 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Why are you removing the transmission? My 75 k was disassembled when I got it I installed the transmission first then the transfer case. I'm giving you that little tid bit in case you were thinking they had to come in and out as an assembly. Some stupid Nissan I worked on was that way,was a total PITA. Seems like I did one other truck that was that way 20 years ago.
I’m assuming you meant to quote the OP…

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ugh I was hoping for a yes but knowing the the no was coming! Lol thanks I'll get me some jacks and start the removable soon. Any help with removal by myself?
Why are you removing the transmission? My 75 I did the transfer case and transmission separately. But why are you pulling the transmission?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
A little trick for backyard or garage transmission r&r Take and old wooden door slide it under the truck so it is under the transmission with one end of the door behind each tire. Block the door up with bricks, blocks, whatever. Slide the transmission back and on to the door,pull the bricks out on one side,slide the transmission down the door and out. Same thing going back in but start with the door flat push the transmission to the middle then start blocking the door back up when it's high enough slide the transmission forward,easy peasy . Block all 4 corners of the door so you can use a scissor jack to r&r your blocks. Personally I ve found this to be easier by myself than 2 men and a floor jack especially in gravel or dirt. I actually use a big trailer ramp but I thought a wooden door would be easier for explanation.
If you lay down a 4x8 sheet of plywood you don't have to fight the gravel or dirt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31