Shade-Tree Tranny Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm facing this myself... Removing my Turbo 350 transmission with the np203 transfer case. Could y'all be of any help and tell me if I HAVE to remove the transfer case with the tranny or any way around taking the tranny out and leaving the transfer case in???
No

78ScottsGirl

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 small block
Ugh I was hoping for a yes but knowing the the no was coming! Lol thanks I'll get me some jacks and start the removable soon. Any help with removal by myself?

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i see you have a 6" tail th350 in your truck which is not factory for any trucks other than the 69-72 ones. heh.. i always build a stack of lumber blocks planks whatever and a ramp to let the tranny slide down and onto the floor/ground.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If you must know, I dropped my 203 with a floor jack, a bunch of 4x4s and 2x4s, and wiggled it onto a freight dolly. Then went after the th350 the same way.
I found out that the 203 is LIGHTER than the th350. Or maybe I was just tired by then.
Still have 10 fingers and didn't break any ribs.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Some might can remember that my tranny went out.. (th350)
Was able to get it out today, and snapped some shots when I had the chance, cuz I was a grease-monkey today
Took three of us to get it out, was nice to have the help.

found out I had a cracked flex-plate too...

Rebuilt tranny+flex-plate, and converter and all that stuff... $550 with 1 year warranty.

Will post more pix on the re-install of the re-built... be on the lookout.

Who says you can't do stuff on a budget :) Do-it-yourself is the best way!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You must be registered for see images attach

$550! Good price. I was quoted $900 to rebuild my th350!! I bought another off craigslist and swapped it myself in my apartment parkin lot.
EDIT: my th350 is 2wd so it was easy to do alone, no TC to fight.

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you must know, I dropped my 203 with a floor jack, a bunch of 4x4s and 2x4s, and wiggled it onto a freight dolly. Then went after the th350 the same way.
I found out that the 203 is LIGHTER than the th350. Or maybe I was just tired by then.
Still have 10 fingers and didn't break any ribs.
Was it easy enough with the linkage and all to get the case out okay?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Pulled the linkage off of both before starting. Made life easier. Rebuilt the 203 shifter while it was out. Time well spent.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I've gotten good at removing my saginaw 3 speed from my truck. In fact I once timed myself (after I Installed the clutch fork wrong after installing the junkyard motor) I pulled it out Nd put it back in/hooked everything up in about 45 minutes.

Even though they are cast iron, these transmissions are light enough that I just drop it down on my chest and bench press it back in.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I've gotten good at removing my saginaw 3 speed from my truck. In fact I once timed myself (after I Installed the clutch fork wrong after installing the junkyard motor) I pulled it out Nd put it back in/hooked everything up in about 45 minutes.

Even though they are cast iron, these transmissions are light enough that I just drop it down on my chest and bench press it back in.
Oh to be young again..

78ScottsGirl

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 small block
Well, here goes the shady tree removal... I'm terrified, but it's gotta be done. Only to get to the intermediate clutch band. It's either broken or has just came off. Transmission Guy I been talking to told me it's probably broken. So, I have to take it out and fix that. Other than that I'm thinking in good as far as internal hard parts go. Gay, I wish I had the money to just have someone do this. But I don't, so ***** it. I'll make it work somehow. Thanks, y'all.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Please be very careful!!!! Sometimes when the trans starts coming, out it is all at once, DO NOT BE IN THE WAY!!!!!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Well, here goes the shady tree removal... I'm terrified, but it's gotta be done. Only to get to the intermediate clutch band. It's either broken or has just came off. Transmission Guy I been talking to told me it's probably broken. So, I have to take it out and fix that. Other than that I'm thinking in good as far as internal hard parts go. Gay, I wish I had the money to just have someone do this. But I don't, so ***** it. I'll make it work somehow. Thanks, y'all.

You go Girl, you got this! Just take your time and think about every move before you make it and above all else please be Careful as mentioned above. Material parts that get broken can be replaced or repaired, BUT flesh and blood parts are a whole other story! Looking forward to an update!!:drink_nl:

Big red square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads