setting valve lash on an integral head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
Hey Guys,
I am following the service manual on how to set the valve lash on my L6 and I have followed it by setting the distributor to the number one cylinder adjusting the proper valves (3/4 turn past the friction point) turned the engine over to get the distributor to the number 6 position and adjusted the proper valves.
The issue I have is after I have followed the above procedure and turned the engine over to get the distributor back to the number one cylinder the valves and pushrods are still somewhat loose.
Do I just adjust the valves once by this method or do I go back and forth setting the distributor to cylinder one and six until all of the play is gone?
Also should the pushrods still spin once I am done with the adjustment?

Hope this makes sense, Thanks

ermin

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Foolproof method I have used forever to adjust valve lash on Hydraulic lifter engines:

Warm up engine then remove valve cover. Start engine and let idle. With cover off and with a ratchet losen a rocker arm nut until you hear the push rod start to tick. Then tighten it back up 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Repeat on each valve. It is sometimes messy with oil but the straight 6 is cleaner than the v8's.

-Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia