Sea foam ... cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Has anyone used it with success. Does it make any real difference in the engine running better. Any thoughts out there. Can it harm anything internally. Ive got the original motor with untold miles and damage....

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't think SF does anything to help a carbureted engine run better. I have tried it once or twice and - no change.

On the other hand, it does seem to help sluggish fuel injected/TBI systems. Suck a pint into the combustion air flow via any convenient vacuum line and rev the engine. It will develop huge clouds of white smoke for a few minutes. When it's all over test drive the vehicle. You'll find out whether you just wasted $12 or you got a miracle cure.

What I find it most useful for is flushing the lube oil system. About a week prior to a planned oil change, dump 2 pints of SF into the crankcase. It will mix with the oil and flush a lot of the crap out of the oil system.

Cowboy Cadillac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use it every other oil change in the crank case. I tried it in the fuel(on my '76)and ended up needing to replace fuel filter with all the nasty stuff it dislodged . Run it every 6 months thru my '01s fuel system, and use it in my motorcycle and quad.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I used it on my '93 GMC Typhoon when I had a diagnostic program monitoring engine knock at WOT. The SYTY forum highly recommended running a can of sea foam into the engine thru a vacuum line, let it stall, let it sit, then drive it like you stole it. Then drive back and do an oil change. (boy, did it smoke! My neighbors loved me)
When I took it back out an hour later the engine knock was gone while monitoring the diagnostic program.
If you dump too much of it in at once technically you could hydrolock the engine. Other than that is is harmless.
But I had the boost turned up a bit and only 91 octane was available- and it made the difference since I was on the edge of what the octane supported.
It would be hard to tell on an older vehicle. It does a great job of getting carbon deposits out of the inside of the engine.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You have a Ty???

I had one. Spent a year fixing it up. When I bought it the cladding was missing or broken. The doors were shaved, the roof rack was missing... it was in pretty sorry shape. Once it was done I attended 2 national conventions with it. Entered it in a car show and won best late model. That thing was too perfect to drive in Montana. Ended up storing it in my garage under a car cover for 9 months out of the year. Didn't want any salt or de-icer on it in the winter. Then in the spring there are still too many rocks on the road. Then I would worry about idiots door dinging it in the parking lots.... hated having something that I worried about too much and couldn't enjoy it. Finally decided to sell it. Regreted having something fun so bought an Audi S4 as a replacement. It was faster, got better gas mileage and didn't mind driving it in winter.

http://www.sportmachines.com/members/truckind.php?truckid=789

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I should have probably kept it, but was starting to think about having a family. At least I can say I saved it from the kid who wanted to strip it down to make it lighter and therefore faster for the 1/4 mile.
He also had lowered it even lower than factory specs. It was so low the front axle shafts would pop out of the front differential and then start grinding on the case of the diff. It also would scrape the trans cross member while just driving down a street that had a crown or some tire ruts from a lot of traffic.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Very nice! They did have their issues. Blowing out the trans, the front propshaft blowing apart, starter issues, stock fuel pump not being big enough, overboost spikes that can blow holes in pistons, non-stop tuneups (they should have had the ignition system from a Grand National instead)

But power brake it at a stop light to launch with a few pounds of boost and you grin ear to ear. As the trans would slam into 2nd gear it would break the tires loose again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not one for additives, but tried it once and was satisfied enough to try it again, and I do believe yes, it's one of the few I'd recommend. If you've got a fairly clean motor, it'll keep it clean. I don't do the suck it in the intake thing though. I put half a can in the crankcase about 500 miles before I change my oil, about every other oil change and my oil stays clean enough I change my oil about every 10,000 miles and use a Mobil 1 filter and full synthetic oil. Oil is still gold when I change it. Dark gold, but still gold. The other half of the can I pour in about 10 gallons of gas in the tank. Does it do any good there? I dunno, but don't have many dirty fuel issues to speak of so I can't say.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Its snake oil use combustion chamber cleaner take off the vac line to your egr valve with the truck warm and running spray it in the vac line till you hear the truck start to stall shut off the truck let it sit for an hour start and let it warm it will smoke a little once its had 2 or 3 mins to warn rev it in your neighbors direction and wait for emergency responders To show up and if you can pull your y pipe or if your dual exaust un bolt it from your headers its a great way to ruin cats and mufflers

Ah good times

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's why I WILL NOT use it in my combustion chamber. I did use it on my 93 E-350. I wondered my Cat. Asked around, No, go ahead, no problems. Funny thing was, my Cat was clogged about 800 miles later. Not sure it would hurt mufflers, but I believe it will hurt cats and cause them to overheat and melt down your catalyst in the converter.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You dump enough carbon in the muffler its not going to flow rite ether and if you have nice one no point in turning them into your motors garbage can

And im not saying it a bad product its just for what you pay for a can of it compared to ccc its money ill spend else where

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody