SBC 400 in a K5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently acquired a 1978 K5 Blazer with a 400 and a TH350 trans. I'm not looking to do anything major to it but I want to make it sound good and it would be nice if I could get some decent power out of it as well.

I'm interested in things such as cams and head work, but I am new to the V8 world and am just looking for some options and opinions.

Also, I would like to know what is a good route to go for exhaust. I want something that sounds like a hot rod (as much as possible anyway), not that crappy popping noise that a lot of Chevy's have (I imagine with straight pipes).

H-Pipe? X-Pipe? Size of exhaust, type of mufflers, etc. I like low rumbly, not high raspy.

Thanks for any tips! Like I said, just trying to get a feel for my options and gain some knowledge.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I recently acquired a 1978 K5 Blazer with a 400 and a TH350 trans. I'm not looking to do anything major to it but I want to make it sound good and it would be nice if I could get some decent power out of it as well.

I'm interested in things such as cams and head work, but I am new to the V8 world and am just looking for some options and opinions.

Also, I would like to know what is a good route to go for exhaust. I want something that sounds like a hot rod (as much as possible anyway), not that crappy popping noise that a lot of Chevy's have (I imagine with straight pipes).

H-Pipe? X-Pipe? Size of exhaust, type of mufflers, etc. I like low rumbly, not high raspy.

Thanks for any tips! Like I said, just trying to get a feel for my options and gain some knowledge.

I dont wanna give you bad advice so please correct me if I'm wrong. Straight pipes is gonna be loud....way loud. I would go with magnaflow mufflers and a x-pipe. I've heard that the x-pipe will give the most power. Just my 2 cents

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh yeah , I was saying the popping/raspy noise usually comes from straight pipes. I want to avoid that. Ive heard good things about magnaflow. Thanks for the tip.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A nice "budget" build would be to do a swap to Vortec heads and the associated parts, namely the intake. As far as a specific cam, I can not at this time make a recommendation. Something that is compatible with the Vortec's lift limitaions and is torque oriented. Run some full length headers, 1 5/8" dia. through a 2 1/2" dual exhaust with an H pipe as close to the collectors as feasible. This balances the exhaust pulses between the banks. An X pipe creates more of a higher pitch exhaust note, so you probably will want to shy away from that. I personally like the sound of a chambered muffler, such as Flowmaster or Thrush Welded, but I like the flow through properties of a Magnaflow type. I plan on going with a Magnaflow when the time comes to make a change.

Hope this helps you get started.

edit: Some may recommend something different, and that is a good thing. The more opinions, the more choices you will have, and we can all learn something!

Last edited:

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Well I went with dual exhaust, h-pipe, with flowmaster 44's......If I could do it again I would go with Magnaflow. I was aiming at the lowest sounding exhaust FYI

The h-pipe really did give me a bit more hp....I noticed it right after it was installed.

So not sure if you would go this route but I found the cheapest route was to order an exhaust clamp on kit from ebay. Order your mufflers. Install them yourself with the clamps so you can adjust it the way you want it. Then if you have a welder then just weld them right on or take it to a muffler shop and have them make you some welds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512