Sanderson Headers question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I have seen a few users of these headers on the site and was wondering if Ya'll installed them with no gaskets and a bead of Ultra Black via Sanderson's instructions ? This personally scares the hell out of me, I've never installed a set of headers with no gaskets, that said, some great and some useless over the years... Anyway any input would be great, I know Sanderson knows more about their headers than I do but it still makes me cringe... I did order the correct AFR exhaust gaskets for my AFR heads to make myself feel better lol...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I would have suggested red,but I wouldn't second guess Sanderson they have more expierience than all of us on this forum will ever have. If there's a problem you can call them and say I installed them exactly as you instructed. Not I have a problem I installed them the way my uncle to install them.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have Sanderson's on my bbc and I installed them exactly as they suggested with the Ultra Black only and I haven't had any leaks at the head (about 4 years).

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
My first bolt-up was as instructed, (without any gaskets), and some copper high heat spray on Permatex...
However... because the straight plugs on the Vortec heads are very tight to the spark plug 45 degree wire caps, the
Remflex 2004 Exhaust Header Gasket provided an extra 1/8", after compression, for plug boot clearance.

The Remflex are fragile and will break easily, so handle them once during install and try to leave them alone after re-torque...
EAN: 0878891000610
The ARP 100-1110 bolts worked perfect with a touch of copper anti-seize, (The bottle with the brush on version, not the spray gasket, mentioned above)...

So... BEFORE you mount the headers, and ruin the gaskets by taking them off and on so many times...

Use a ball peen hammer and torch, to heat and form 3/4"-1" round dents into the #2, 3, 4, 5 @ 1-5/8" areas where the plug boot WILL burn up... unless you bought angle plug heads...
The dents have to be very close to the primary flange to work.

If you are running TBI or FI, you're going to want to weld at least one O2 sensor bung, pointing straight up on the driver's manifold BEFORE you complete the installation, (so you can wire up the three wire O2 mod and a relay, for better idle and faster start up... later). The O2 heater should point straight down, wires up, or it will get clogged with carbon...

Had no idea when the Sanderson's showed up, they were really designed for angle plugs... with a lil' massaging, they fit and work OK using stock ACDElco 8mm wires. Been a year with no issues... Those expensive ceramic wires were in my shopping cart for a while now, however they were not required, so far.

Went with MR43LTS Marine plugs, for now. Have not tried the short Accell's yet, so not sure how they perform... They may be an option, however they are very $$$. The marine plugs run toast brown and can be had off AZ as a set for cheap...
Good luck with the Rosebud and hammer... Just take your time and don't go wild with the torch...

...For what it's worth, they worked well with 2-1/2" primaries, giving me excellent room around the small version GM starter.
They allowed me to eliminate the Y-Pipe and run angled pipes down, curve around the frame, and tuck the mufflers under the side boards.

Last edited:

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Here's what I described:
You must be registered for see images attach

Was considering wrapping them... however Sanderson forbids the heat wrap or they will not warranty their welding or the straight edge, due to concentrated heat at the flange.
Probably should not have painted them with high heat black either, however it's just a ranch truck.
She's not going to the fashion show any time soon...

Despite their recommendation against any gasket being required, it really seems this would keep the heat off the head, in the long run...

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Heat soak from the header into the head would be a fraction of that from a manifold, I doubt that would be an issue at all.

Reactions: WFO

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
OK... Cool!

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks guys awesome information as usual what a great site ! Upon further investigation I found this on Sanderson's website which was not included in the instructions....

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
GENERAL NOTES:

1. The Patented Leak-Free Design that Sanderson Headers offer you is the only leak-free flange design on the market ... Do Not Attempt To Use Flange Gaskets! The raised flange on the Sanderson Headers will buckle the gasket during tightening and actually cause a leak!

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
The fairly vague instructions say apply 1/8" bead of silicon and preferably let sit over night, I'm assuming this means before you bolt them to your heads ?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Use your ultra black as designed by permetx which from memory is permetex,then finger tight install. Wait 1 hour,tighten,then wait over night.

Got the instructions off the p tex website for you attached below

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-26_091155.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-26_091155.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I put a bead of Ultra Black on, let it skin over, installed them and waited until the next day before cranking. Knock on wood, while I currently have a collector leak, I have not had a flange leak in 4 years (the headers have not been off).

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Good to hear John ! Im debating bolting them on as it sits on my motor stand versus after I drop it in, being semi shorties I dont think its a problem if they were long tubes I'd wait....

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
ya'll got any pics of your sanderson headers on your big blocks from underneath showing clearance and how they fit? I have a new set of ceramic coated hedman's to install on my k30 but its so tight in the area around the driveshaft and the brace rods going from transfer case to the bellhousing that i've been contemplating sandersons as i think I could build 3" exhaust easier with a shorter length header and everything keeps pointing me back to the sandersons.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@QBuff02 here's a bunch of pics of the Sanderson's in my Blazer (454 w/ K30 oil pan, hydraulic 4spd w/ support bars, Off Road Design motor mounts and engine crossmember).

The exhaust is 2.5" "Y" pipe into a single 3" down the driver's side with a Magnaflow muffler. Over the years I grew tire of fighting dual exhaust around the tcase and with a Doubler my 205 is clocked up 2" making it a lot worse so I decided to go with single exhaust on this truck.

Note: I bought my Sanderson's bare to save money but they were so nice I decided to have them Jet Hot coated (prior to install). Do yourself a favor and buy them coated! My Jet Hot coating is flaking in a few spots around the collectors so at some point I've got to see if they'll warranty recoat them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member